Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with all the new electric bikes coming out it seems weird to me that there will be no sound. Somewhat of a safety issue in my mind. Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
12,993 Posts
Other than lack of range and long re-charge time, electric bikes (and cars and trucks) would have already replaced our carbon-belching relics.

I'm sure someone will invent an onboard sound generator to alleviate the loss of exhaust sound we will all feel. Harley engineered it's Livewire electric to make noise via it's helical gear reduction drive.

I have pit-crewed for my friend who races electrics for several years now. His most interesting observation was that after 45+ years of racing motorcycles, he can finally hear the p.a. system as he circulates a track. Tire warmers, chain maintenance and battery charging are all that's required to race a battery bike. Much more relaxing than all the crap needed to keep a combustion-powered bike on a racetrack.

Has anyone else here ridden an electric? I can testify they have a shitload of torque. Last year during Bike Week, I rode an electric back and forth to the racetrack. The old Victory (Brammo) I rode would leave big-inch Harleys in the dust leaving stoplights. Had I watched in the mirrors, I surely would have spied some dropped jaws. If I lived in a city and had a job to commute to, I would have one already, not as an only bike, but as a handy transportation tool. The time will eventually come to pass when those who would rather not ride will just not ride.

Electric vehicles are already shattering world speed records. Pikes Peak, Nurburgring and others have seen heretofore unseen speeds. The new Zero DSR finished 5th at Pikes Peak in 2019 with a factory engineer at the controls. Imagine what it could have done with a top-level pro on the seat.

One can come up with all sorts of emotional arguments against electrics, but as soon as they resolve the range and charging issues, which are improving daily, that's the only argument left.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also seems like it will make them throw a ways, once the battery is dead they seem to still be really expensive to replace. I am guessing that battery tech like everything else will evolve. Maybe they last along time tho....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts