Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm from India and I have a 2000 A1 ZX12R. Few days back when I tried to take it out for a spin, the steering would not unlock. The pin which slides in and locks got stuck. My mech removed the whole ignition barrel and took the pin ( which got broken and remained stuck ) out and put the barrel back in. I am good to go , he said, although steering would not lock any more. The bikes started at the touch of starter. It revved fine, too. Few hours later when I took it out for a spin then I noticed. The engine was eight-stroking or sputtering all through the rev range. And it wouldn't rev up high and thgere was a huge power loss. Like it was only firing on 1 or 2 cylinders. I replaced the whole ignition barrel thinking it would cure the problem. 20 days and new ignition switch assy later, the problem is still the same. It is driving me nuts. It would start at the touch of a button , even cold start. But it eight-strokes right from idle rpm. And no power at all. It sounds somewhat like revving a V-twin. Help anyone, please.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm from India and I have a 2000 A1 ZX12R. Few days back when I tried to take it out for a spin, the steering would not unlock. The pin which slides in and locks got stuck. My mech removed the whole ignition barrel and took the pin ( which got broken and remained stuck ) out and put the barrel back in. I am good to go , he said, although steering would not lock any more. The bikes started at the touch of starter. It revved fine, too. Few hours later when I took it out for a spin then I noticed. The engine was eight-stroking or sputtering all through the rev range. And it wouldn't rev up high and thgere was a huge power loss. Like it was only firing on 1 or 2 cylinders. I replaced the whole ignition barrel thinking it would cure the problem. 20 days and new ignition switch assy later, the problem is still the same. It is driving me nuts. It would start at the touch of a button , even cold start. But it eight-strokes right from idle rpm. And no power at all. It sounds somewhat like revving a V-twin. Help anyone, please.
Start by checking your fuel pressure. Make sure the fuel pump is feeding the engine at the right pressure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start by checking your fuel pressure. Make sure the fuel pump is feeding the engine at the right pressure.
Thanks a lot. I will heed your advice. While I am at it, I think I would also drain fuel from tank and flush clean it. And I think I must also clean injectors and attend to spark-pugs. It sounds like a Harley now. May be running on only 1 or 2 cylinders.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts