Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so We need to replace the chain and sprocket on a friend of mines machine and i am wondering how to regear properly for more top end speed. Its an older cbr f2 and it tops out pretty quick. Will dropping a tooth in the front and coming up 2 in the rear accomplish this or am i going backwards? I can never remember this right.... I did a quick search hear and havent found the answer i needed. Thanks for any help.

Sean

·
Registered
201 Posts
To make the bike go faster you want to go up teeth numbers in the front and lower the teeth number in the rear! :crazyloco

·
Registered
57 Posts
you are going to lose a lot of the pick up by changing the gearing like that. you can drop a few teeth of the back or add one to the front but if you go to far the bike will have no go at all.

if you really want more top speed you should look at a bigger bike

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
The rule of thumb is adding one tooth to the front has the same effect as removing three teeth in the rear (same for going the other way). My bike runs 17/45 as stock, and, like you I was looking for a bit higher on the top end, and a little less strain on the engine at freeway speeds. I was VERY happy going to a 44 rear, as I didn't want to go too radical and lose all my bottom end. Don't forget, too much adding and subtracting will effect chain length as well.

DW

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well this bike is a 15/43 right now. It has all the get up you could ever want but no go in the end. I think it tops out about 125ish so we are looking for more top end. I appreciate the comments i think we will go witha 16 up front for now that should be enough to get it wound up around 140 i would think....

Sean

·
Registered
462 Posts
Deal is, aero on bike suck. Easiest way to make more top end on a bike like that is to take off the mirrors and blinkers, tape everything up front, cut off some of the screen, and take a hammer to the tank. Putting a big nice dent where your head can hide behind a shorter screen is the idea. Anyways, I agree with what RISERZX10R said, for more top end, get a bigger bike. Nitrous is a cheap solution too. Gearing really wont help unless the aero matches. Also depending on how desperate you are you can always go with skinnier, harder tires, to lessen rolling resistance. But that's probably best a solution implemented on salt flats and salt flats only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts