Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll try to make this short but I’m taking my “new to me” stock 2012 to get it detailed because it’s sat in a garage for 4 years untouched (it’s gross). Anyways, while it’s being detailed I’m going to send the ECU in to have it flashed and have the fuel tables adjusted to match the Brock’s alien head exhaust (full headers). BUT… I do not have the exhaust installed yet, it’s still sporting the stock cans. So the question is, will I be safe to drive it home from the detail shop (35 miles) with the stock exhaust but having the ECU adjusted for the new Brock’s exhaust? I’m assuming it’ll be fine… but wanted to make sure. The reason I’m not installing the Brock’s exhaust is because it won’t be here for another week, or else I would just throw it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I doubt the change to enrichen the fuel table would hurt anything in those few miles
Worst thing is you damage the cats in the mufflers but you're getting rid of those anyway
I say ride it
Thanks EZ. Another question… are you familiar with Schnitz Racing? They’re doing the flash and I want to make sure I’m not sending my ECU to someone like CBlast. I read all about the crap that he pulled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the schnitz flash on my 14r
Quick turn around
I wish they had the fuel table option when I got mine. I have the PCV on mine
Excellent! Yea I seen the turn-around isn’t supposed to be more than a couple days, especially on top of the option to pay for expedited return shipping. I don’t have plans to do anything else with mine, so I’m glad I don’t need to do the flash as well as need a PCV to adjust for the exhaust. It would be a waste of $$$. I might take it to the airport drag strip once or twice a year but just for fun, other than that it’s just an escape for me and the wife (a very big and and very fast one lol).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have Ivan's Performance flash and it's incredible.
Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn’t aware of who all did these reflashes and who’s was better but after talking to Ivan personally, I cancelled my order with Schnitz, since I haven’t sent my ECU yet thankfully and will be sending it to him!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What was the deciding factor to go with Ivan?
I don't see much difference in settings. Ivan does have a dyno chart
Still minimal hp increase in either one
after looking at Schnitz modifications and then speaking to Ivan directly, I realized that Ivan does more modifications than Schnitz offers, plus he said that he also looks for other issues and fixes them while he has the ECU open for editing. There’s a few other factors like him personally writing his own tunes with 47 years of experience in the business and personally tests them. It’s possible that I’m just gullible or naive but I think I made the right choice.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have the Brock's CT 4-1 titanium exhaust on my '22. My shop flashed the ECU and the bike makes great power, with a smooth curve. BUT, I have this annoying hesitation at light throttle passing through 2,500-3,000 rpm. I've heard of others mentioning the same thing.

My shop, which I've been using for decades, has always done a good job, but they don't seem to want to invest the additional time to sort this out. I looked through Ivan's website and he gives you a very detailed summary of what he does. I was impressed. I called him and he claims (and I have no reason to doubt him, he's been around a long time) that he has access to certain tuning parameters that most others don't. He assured me the bike will run flawlessly and probably make a bit more power, not that I need more with 208hp now.

So, off to Ivan's the ECU went yesterday. I should hear from him today. He does 1 day turn around.

I'll report back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got the flashed ECU back. As promised, Ivan flashed it the day he received and shipped it back the same day. Got it 2 days later. He's an interesting character. Very helpful on the phone, and he doesn't pull any punches. He states very confidently that he doesn't care what flash you have, that you will have a different bike, because he does adjustments that almost no tuners do.

I'm always a little suspect when I hear those claims, but he sounded sincere and didn't come off as a bullshit artist. Prior to his flash, my bike ran very strong, with great throttle, and made excellent power on the dyno. But I had 2 issues. There was an annoying hesitation under light acceleration in the lower gears from 2,500 through 3,000 rpm, and fuel mileage was not good. I did not have this problem on my '12, so perhaps it's something to do with the later bikes (2016+) having to meet different Euro standards. The O2 sensor was disabled on my '22.

The first thing anyone should do if they're interested in Ivan's flash is to go on his website to see what he does. It's quite comprehensive.

I rode the bike 330 miles on Sunday to see how the flash is. I rode in all kinds of situations. Light acceleration, brisk acceleration, on and off the throttle, backing off the throttle at higher rpm to hear the deceleration. Everything Ivan said is what happened. It is a different bike. ZERO hesitation or flat spots anywhere. Fuel mileage is dramatically better. At 70 mph, on the dash readout, the old flash got 38 mpg, the new flash shows 48mpg. It's a similar percent at 75, 80, 85, and 90. Throttle response is excellent. The bike actually runs a little cooler as well, which is great down here in S. Florida. The temp didn't hit 170 until it was 90 degrees out. The bike just runs what I would call "sweeter", i.e., crisp, smooth, and linear.

So, there you have it. The best $350 I've spent on a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the flashed ECU back. As promised, Ivan flashed it the day he received and shipped it back the same day. Got it 2 days later. He's an interesting character. Very helpful on the phone, and he doesn't pull any punches. He states very confidently that he doesn't care what flash you have, that you will have a different bike, because he does adjustments that almost no tuners do.

I'm always a little suspect when I hear those claims, but he sounded sincere and didn't come off as a bullshit artist. Prior to his flash, my bike ran very strong, with great throttle, and made excellent power on the dyno. But I had 2 issues. There was an annoying hesitation under light acceleration in the lower gears from 2,500 through 3,000 rpm, and fuel mileage was not good. I did not have this problem on my '12, so perhaps it's something to do with the later bikes (2016+) having to meet different Euro standards. The O2 sensor was disabled on my '22.

The first thing anyone should do if they're interested in Ivan's flash is to go on his website to see what he does. It's quite comprehensive.

I rode the bike 330 miles on Sunday to see how the flash is. I rode in all kinds of situations. Light acceleration, brisk acceleration, on and off the throttle, backing off the throttle at higher rpm to hear the deceleration. Everything Ivan said is what happened. It is a different bike. ZERO hesitation or flat spots anywhere. Fuel mileage is dramatically better. At 70 mph, on the dash readout, the old flash got 38 mpg, the new flash shows 48mpg. It's a similar percent at 75, 80, 85, and 90. Throttle response is excellent. The bike actually runs a little cooler as well, which is great down here in S. Florida. The temp didn't hit 170 until it was 90 degrees out. The bike just runs what I would call "sweeter", i.e., crisp, smooth, and linear.

So, there you have it. The best $350 I've spent on a bike.
zx9rmal, I was shopping around for flashes as I'll be picking up my 14 this weekend. I normally always use 2wdw flashes on my bikes, and was considering moore mafia too. After your testimony, I think I may be inclined to go with Ivan. I am especially impressed with that increase in gas mileage. However lets hope it's just not running lean! (Though that wouldn't make sense if the bike is also running cooler.)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts