Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I believe the quickest way to learn an easy way to do something is to have the laziest bastard you know do it and he will figure out the quick easy way. Then you learn the process from him. I'm a lazy bastard and I'm going to show you my quick & easy way to change grips.

Here's the old one ready to come off:

New ones waiting to go on:

Before you actually remove the old ones make sure the new ones will work for you:

I'm comparing lengths because grips do come in different lengths:

To do this you will need a blow gun and an air supply. Put the tip of the blow gun under the outer edge of the grip and inflate the grip. While doing this you want to try to slide the grip outwards.

It won't go too far this way, but it will go far enough to allow you to get the tip of the blow gun under the inboard edge of the grip.

Now just keep it inflated and slide it off:

Once it's off fit the new one over the end of the bar and use the air to inflate it while you slide it on:

You want to keep the palm of one hand over the end of the grip to keep the air trapped and the grip inflated. You push with your palm while the other hand is operating the blow gun.

Use the air until you get them positioned and it's okay to move them around to make sure you have them where you want them.

When you're all done they should resemble this:

Normally this is a two handed job but I was taking pictures while doing it.

If you have removeable bar ends it will be easier to do this with them off, but you can do it with them on like I did.

If you're worried about the grip moving around after it's on then hose the clip-on down with hairspray before installing the grip. I do mean hose it down. You want it wet so the grip slides into position. It will dry and provide adhesive for the grip to stay in place. That's the end of "Changing Grips 101".

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
Nice write up 2fat

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Yep, thats how I do it.

Hope you used some kind of adhesive though.

·
Registered
13,362 Posts
That's how I do it. Been using hairspray for grips since I was pushing Mushroom grips on my Haro and Predator freestyles back in the early '90s. Just recently started using grip glue, not sure I'd want to use air to put the new ones on with that stuff. Regardless, good to see it "in print", so to speak.
:thumbup

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That's how I do it. Been using hairspray for grips since I was pushing Mushroom grips on my Haro and Predator freestyles back in the early '90s. Just recently started using grip glue, not sure I'd want to use air to put the new ones on with that stuff. Regardless, good to see it "in print", so to speak.
:thumbup
My brother is 8 years older than me and he showed me this trick at least fifteen years ago. I have no idea how long he did it before that. Before that I just cut the old grips off with a razor and used hairspray as a lubricant to slide the new ones on.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
good stuff, 2 fat this is basically how I do it also except I usually safety wire my grips. Not that that is totally needed but I do it any way.

·
Registered
338 Posts
good write up ,
if you havent got an airline handy just work a screwdriver in between grip and bar ,
( or throttle tube ) it loosens it enough to pull right off .
A little hairspray , no need to soak it , and the new grips slide right on .
1/2 an hour drying time and they,ll be ready to ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts