Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently installed a K&N filter, full D&D exhaust and a dynojet kit and now my 9 runs like a dog.:banghead While i was syncing the carbs the other day i pulled out two spark plugs one wet the other dry (without any hints of running too lean). So now it looks like i have to start swaping main jets.

Has anyone else had this problem? Why is it dynojet tells you to run a c150 across all carbs?

·
Registered
201 Posts
What year is your 9? I had a problem after doing a Dynojet kit as well but my problem is that I got a counterfit kit from a bad online dealer. If one plug is wet sounds like it is dumping to much fuel via the floats not being set right or bad needles. Give me some more info and lets see if we can get it going right once again. :banghead
Are your jets stamped with those numbers from Dynojet because they don't sound like Dynojet numbers to me. :crazyloco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's an 01, i read in my manual that the factory jets are 160 outer and 165 inners, the dyno jet kit i have is legit, i bought it off of babbitts. the recommended jetting from dynojet for a full after market exhaust is c150's but they give you 4 different sizes so i think i'm going to start by setting the inners one size larger and see how that goes then i'm going to tune from there, unless you have experimented with them before and could save me sometime with suggestions, but i will tune everything else once i have the mainjets set. I plan to do this a few days from now becuase hopefully my ignition advance rotor from factory should be in by then.

I plan on following this procedure from factory, if you have anything to add it would be greatly appriciated

javascript:eek:l('http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html');

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is a sugestion on finding out what is going on with the fuel mixtures. Try running the bike using the choke as a variable. If it runs better with the choke then you should use the higher jets that they give you. On the other hand if it shows no improvment go to the lower jets. Kawasaki ran these bikes out of the factory with pretty good carb settings however they were designed to run rich.
I would also suggest try turning the mixtures screws on the bottom of the carbs out up to 2 turns out and go from there as well.
Hopefully this helps you out. Post up your progress.
Good luck. :crazyloco

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would say try running them all one size straight across the board at first. I know alot of manufacturers ran different jets on the inner because they were prone to run hooter then the other cylinders. But with the way engines are designed today it shouldn't really be a factor (water cooled vs air cooled).
Unfortunately jetting bikes can be a time consuming process unless you are fortunate enough to own a dyno machine of your own to get the mixture perfect. :crazyloco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well my ignition advance comes in today, so will install that and run my bike again tonight, i ran it last night at 7k to redline with and without choke, it only seemed to do a little better off the choke, so i'll keep the main jets that dynojet suggested in it, and i'm scheduling a dyno run at the local harley shop to see where the power is and what air/fuel ratio is going on up top, i'll post more when i get there:evil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok sorry it took so long for this post but i finally ran my bike on the dyno, numbers are depressing but they show what i need to do, and for 60 bucks they better...

as you can see just as the main jet kits kick in (about 7,000rpm) the mixture goes waaaayy fat (rich) so the main jet needs to go one size smaller, which means in dynojet numbers a c146. I plan to swap that out tomorrow and hopefully feel a huge difference, but the sad part is that my next dyno run isn't till the 17th...:banghead and i may have to change the needle clip location, o' the joys of tuning your own bike.

i'll post more as i get there.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do you have a Sportbike dealer located near you? Harley dealers aren't going to really be able to give you any suggestions on which way to go to get the numbers you are looking for. You were lucky enough to get the bike onto their Dyno. The Harley dealer near me won't even bring your bike in unless it is a Harley, Buell, or Aprilla because they are the only bikes they sell and know how to tune.
I would suggest doing a search on the Dynojet website to find another dyno near you.
Good Luck :crazyloco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well this post is really old, but i removed the d&d exhaust and put on the stock header with header wrap and a new micron mide pipe and slip on, i just took it to a sportbike shop and ran a very, very, very straight line up to 132 hp with 68.5 ftlbs. so it's running ok now, finally. i only ran a 11.198 at the track the other day, but i don't have a strap or any suspension mods, but i have a strap in the mail.:crazyloco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts