Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey there,
I own a 01 ZX7R (P6) At the end of last season (06) I had a shop put on a full Muzzy system, and a DynoJet stage 1 kit, K&N Air Filter. The bike came back like a whole new bike! I was impressed. Now the sad part begins... I noticed that regardless of the rpm... once I reached my cruising speed, be it 20, 40, 100, my exhaust seemed to sound like it was sputtering, but as soon as I crack it... she pulls nice, or so I thought. I went to the shop and they said it was the dynojet kit, (they don't like using dynojet kits), they said it wouldn't do any harm, and if I wanted, they could fix it for a couple of hours labour ( I think that is B.S. why should I have to pay to have them fix their mistake?). So.. I decided to leave it for now...
Just recently I went to a sportbike rally up north in Parry Sound, Ontario. While I was there, my friend and I threw our bikes on a dyno there. My bike ran like crap!!! Buddy got on her, and shifted threw all the gears, then slowed it down in 6th, then when he cracked it... the bike started hopping around! sounded like it was choking! sounded like crap, reacted like crap. On the first attempt we got 114hp at the rear wheel, then the second time we hit 117hp at the wheel, but he said that he thinks the jets are wrong. He said my fuel/air mixture was all off. The funny thing is... I had never experienced this on my bike. But I also never had taken it up to 6th going slow then punched it. This ruined my bike rally day :( I came home.. she acted fine all the way home... then just before I got home... she started acting up a bit. The following day, I took the bike out and decided to do what the dude did on the dyno, took it to 6th, slowed down a bit, then cracked it... then the same thing happened, I could feel it starting to bounce under me, so I came home and called the shop. They got all defensive about the whole thing saying.. well it was fine when it left here yada yada yada. I'm not confident in this shop any more, and I feel I should take it to another shop closer to home. I'll have to pay yet again, or should I take it back to that shop?
The question that I have is ... has this happened to anyone else? A friend said it might be the pilot jet... I'm no mechanic, I just want it to run smooth, and sound great!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i just went through the same thing with my bike. its a 99 too, uhh it sounds like its lean popping. its weird i know. i found that i had a cracked vacume line under nieth the #3 carb. also in my safari through the endless mess i found that my air/fuel screws under my carbs where all off. from just hanging on by one thread to being 3 turns out. i would start buy checking to see if all your vacume lines are good then check to make sure all of your air/fuel screws are the same.. here in ny mine bike seems to like them set at 1 3/4 out from a light seat. try that and see if it works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like your carbs needing some changes.
I recommend you this page to read:http://factorypro.com/tech/carbtun.html
or:
http://factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html

On the second dyno run you said your bike pulled better than first... A lean problem gets better when the engine is warmed up... draw your conclusions.
I think you should raise the needles 1/2 or 1 groove and/or the float level. One change / test! If the needles wont help, then set back them to the original setting and raise the fuel level , then test it.

You might have to re-route the float bowl wents to the airbox from the clean air system's valve too: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/webzxr/zxr750r/Features/ken/ram_air_carbs.html

Good luck! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts