Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I got an '01 ZX9 that I just got out of the shop. Just had my carbs synced an cleaned. Anyway....took it out for a quick spin, and as I was headed home my instrument cluster went dim, an the bike shut off. I just put a BRAND NEW battery in the bike (less than 24 hours old). What could be causing the bike lights to go dim an shut down so quick??? I put the battery back on the charger and it fired right back up. So confused an aggravated!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like its the charging system! Not sure if the bike uses a stator/magneto or a alternator as I just bought my first ride 4 weeks ago and have been trolling around here for info on it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I don't have a voltmeter. Right now I wish I did. My ZX9 has a stator on it. I. Just replaced it a few months back. Its crazy how its just dying out on me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Right size battery? Not fully charging the battery? Maybe a bad battery? Possible headlights drawing too much power?
I would try and check all these things before getting into the charging system or paying a shop to do it or ya. I'm not sure what would cause this other than the charging system being messed up somewhere.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everything else is working just as it should. I'm finding that it may also be the rectifier. Not sure how to check that to be sure. If anyone has any information on how to plz lemme kno. It would greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
stator for sure, i had a gsxr that did this to me, pull it and check for burned wires under the stator or the side that faces the crank. if you damaged the protective coating while installing it then it would cause the stator to go bad sooner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts