Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

dropping the engine

963 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  theblaze1987 
#1 ·
hey guys, im in the midle of dropping the engine, i had to take a little break, been wrenchin on her for a few hours now, i think im getting close to being able to drop the engine, but im wondering if anyone has any advice on anything who has done this before, my goal is to be able to split the case and replace the tranny with the one i got off ebay due to not having second. i know i might have to replace a shift for as well, but wont know till i get her open. anyways i got the radiators and oil cooler off. airbox off. im working on taking the carbs off now. what all do i have to take off to be able to drop the engine and get to the case? i just disconect a much as i can and drop the subframe with the engine attached to it correct? carbs need to come off to drop it? any advice on things i should take off now will be a big help to me, the rest of the bike is completely removed as well due to some other projects i was doing, like the rear tire n swing arm are removed as well. bikes looking pretty bare right now and im just wondering from anyone who has done this before, how much i need to take off to drop the engine, and or things i should take off now while the engines still in, in order for me to be able to split the case, thanks guys any help and advice is welcome.

#2 ·
be very careful not to lose any dowel pins.

#5 ·
Your ZX11 has a push-pull throttle cable system. One to open and one to close the butterflies. The other cable is the choke.

Did you remove the sprocket yet?

cheers

#7 ·
the front sprocket, no havent removed it yet, tell me what i need to remove in order to drop the engine and be able to split the case. heres whats off so far. radiator,oil cooler. airbox, header. thats basically it really. what else needs to be removed? do i lower it by the subframe with the sub attached still when it comes time and then just removed the subframe once im out?

#8 ·
It was about 12 years ago when I did mine LOL.

What I did is remove the sub-frame first before lowering the engine.

Also make sure all the wires such as starter, oil pressure sending unit, etc are removed.

What are using for a stand?

If you remove the oil pan you will have a nice flat surface to work with, just make sure you don't gibble up the mating surface.

You can use a floor jack with some 2x4's to lower the engine.

Do you have an air compressor? Manual? Most of this is covered in the manual.

cheers

#9 ·
hey ok i got the carbs off, leaving the cables attached and jut laying the carbs aside wont be easy though. and i am using the center stand while doing all the work on my bike. ok i will take the oil pan off to have that flat surface to use with a floorjack, good idea i was wondering what i was going to do there, i thought the subframe had the engine mounts on it, and that removing the subframe would basically be removing the engine?? yes i have a manual, but it says 900-1100 and it always only shows the 900 or the 1000 and there are suttle differances that basicay give me an idea of what to do but doesnt show me details. i dunno. im slowly making progress on it though, i wanted to have the engine out today

#10 ·
The subframe has the front engine mounts, but the rear of the engine is bolted to the main frame. I think there are some chrome plugs that must be popped out to access the rear engine mount bolts.

cheers

#11 ·
yeah i saw the ones in the rear, all thats left is im trying to figure out the best way to remove the damn throttle cable without having di disassemble the whole damn carb assembly, can someone plllllleeeease answer me and tell me the best way to remove the cables from the carbs!? i dont want to just let the carbs hang with a bungy, i want them off because while i was knee high in this stuff i was going to give the carbs a good cleaning. the manual is useless here, it just says disconnect the cables and has two arrows to the two cables. thanks. anyone got some advice im ready to drop her after this!?

#12 ·
Loosen the adjustment sleeves, push on the throttle shaft bellcrank with a finger to open the butterflies and with the other hand use a pair of needle nose pliers to wiggle the cable end from the carb. Release the shaft and you should be able to remove the pushing cable fairly easily.

cheers

#14 ·
It's not a loop, it's two cables.

Remove the right hand switch assembly. You can also remove the cables from this end leaving the cables on the carbs.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.