Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reason I bought my sportbike was twisty, turny roads. I love getting my knee low. Though I have not got so low to drag a knee yet, Im trying to perfect my technique. what are some of your techniques for cornering?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have really been trying to get my knee onto the ground with the 6R, and I ride those BT015's right to the edge, and my son, riding behind me, tell me my knee has still got about 6" to go, and yes, I do hang off quit a bit.

I doubt it very much if you will get your knee on the ground with standard tyres, never mind which ones. I am sure you will have to go some sort of racing tyre (BT002's or similar) to scrape your knee, or my balls are still too small!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Good explanation of proper body positioning for cornering. I like his take on "twisted" vs. correct.

It could just be those damn Bridgestones.... try out some Pirelli's or Michelins of the dual compound sort. (Corsa III's or 2CT's)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been running the BT015's on the track and have not had a problem getting the bike leaned over in the corners, they need to be warmed up for them to stick. I have been dragging knee consistantly but only on the track, I won't try it on the street just because you never know what is on the road.

·
Registered
17 Posts
it's real easy dude just make sure your in the right part of the lane when you start to lean at high speeds or else your bikes going go off the road and let you go with it. also dont be afraid to move around on the seat before the turn all the pros do it. you just gotta have pair you know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I won't try it on the street just because you never know what is on the road.
^^^ Good advise. It only takes a smoothed off bit of tarmac or a slight fissure in the road when your bike is pulled all the way over to cause an inflection in the tyre....and down you come.

Test tracks don’t have fissures on ithem (unposted ones anyway). The marshals will warn you of slipy corners & the like before you get on. That’s the difference between the road & track. It's also much easier to get your tyres up to temperature on the track (no lights to stop at etc.)

If you're going to try and lean your bike that far over on the road, put some crash protectors on your bike first, and make sure you're wearing full leathers.

It is fun to lean the bike that far over (been there), but it comes at a price eventually (been there also).

·
Registered
8 Posts
it will happen on its own. your lean angle will increase as your speed does. dont try to intentionally touch your knee becuase you may offset your body position.
go to a track and work on some sweepers.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah i'm comfortable with bridgestones since i bought my bike but my confidence isnt really there with the bt's..pilot powers all the way..
but dont get me wrong u just need a tighter turn to grind the knee...
but u get awfully close to the rim on these bikes...they are higher than most bikes!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts