Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right ho :angry hate the amount that I have to pay for rego/tyres while saving for a house .......... sooooo, thinking about a 250, but will it be able to handle my size/weight..... I'm 6"1' and 216 pound, will only be for a year or two then I'll be moving up to the ZX10

·
Registered
117 Posts
I went through a similar thing when I got remarried going from a ZX-12 to an '82 GPz-550. At first the drop of power is really depressing but you get used to it. I found I could still have fun in the mountain twisties. But it was definetly more fun downhill than uphill ;)

A 250 is a pretty small bike for your size however. Your going to have to adjust your expectations. But knowing its not forever really does help.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i rode my 250 for 5 years, and i'm larger then you. Granted you won't be able to take the front wheel up or anything, you can still have fun on it.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ta peeps ........ I might think:headscratch about this some more

·
Registered
63 Posts
New to the board - this is an old topic but I'll add my $.02 anyway.

I just bought a Ninja 250 from a friend of mine in addition to my '05 R1. The R1 is better in every respect, except one, and that's the fun to ride aspect. With the 250, you can run it up through the gears and not be at go-to-jail type speeds. You can go through the twisties keeping the rpm above 10k all day long, and that is fun. It's fine on the freeways too. Mine spins around 9k rpm at 75 mph. 80 is no big deal, but much above that takes a while. Around town I find myself laughing out loud inside my helmet the thing is so light and fun to ride. I seriously doubt most people will call this bike slow in the twisties. Just stay away from the 0-120 race scene.

I paid $1300 for the bike, insurance is $11 / mo, tires are cheap and last a while, maintenance is pretty darned easy, parts are available and cheap.

Mods: I put an EX500 shock on the back - bolts right in, and helps a lot. I also resprung the front with .8. The front felt like the worst part of the suspension but in reality with the geometry of the bike if you fix the back end, that's most of the problem. You'll never get the bike to handle really well, so get over it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My friend bought a 250 thinking it would be fun and that he didn't need lots of speed. Now he hates it and is trying desperately to get rid of it. On the other hand, another friend had the ninja 500. Its way better. Still light and nimble but has some balls. I'd definitely consider getting the 500. Here's another idea. Look into getting something older like a KZ1000. I've had a couple (and still have a couple) and love them. Great all around bikes and theres millions of them out there so they aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Everybody keeps saying the 250 dosen't have any balls because it wont outdrag the Z14 and wont be any fun because it wont outrun the Hyabusa on top end. There isnt one bike out there that dosent have its weak points but pound for pound the 250 outshines them all.

Get off a 1250 or a Z14 and go straight to the 250 and carve it on the Dragon like I did (more fun than a barrel of monkeys), then have to park it in a real tight place like I had to, then this little thing will seem like heaven on earth.

I am in the middle of downsizing, I weigh 245 pounds and this motorcycle does an excellent job, more fun than a barrel of monkeys, and is a dream to flick around town and on a mountainside. What it lacks in power, you must make up in riding skills.

this past Saturday I stoped by the Kawasaki dealer and strongly considered the 650R and the dealer let me take a used one out and well it had more horsepower but was not what I want at this particular time.

You can buy one of these things and sell it for just about what you paid for it because the people dont want to go through the breakin.

I am strongly considering going from NE Georgia to Chicargo on mine instead of the 1250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Kawi_T said:
My friend bought a 250 thinking it would be fun and that he didn't need lots of speed. Now he hates it and is trying desperately to get rid of it.
I am THAT friend !

I wouldn't say I hate the bike , or that I am "desperately" trying to get rid of it (although it WILL be on Ebay tomorrow ! :rolleyes ).

I read about the 250 on the Ninja 250 Riders Club for over a year before I bought one. Too bad I didn't follow their advice as to what mods to make.

I fell into the "racer boy" bull**** and bought some K&N pod filters (nothing against them , except intake noise is loud now) , and completely gutted the stock pipes , rejetted and had a bike that was louder than Kawi_T's ZX11 , wasn't any faster despite the noise, got worse fuel mileage, and was still poorly suspended.

In retrospect, the ONLY mod I should have made was to the suspension. The stock suspension is SO soft it is ridiculous. I weigh about 180 lbs., so if you are anywhere near that , you WILL need to up the suspension.

I used to have an RD250 , and I thought the Ninja 250 would be comparable . They are not. They are WORLDS different. I suspect I would like the Ninja 250 more if I stiffened up the suspension , but I need the money , so it's gotta go.

I think it's a good bike, needs some suspension mods , and would be fine if I didn't ride in the flat, straight , boring roads of Illinois. Riding where I do , the lack of power is still not a big issue until you get on the highway.

Stoplight to stoplight and around town , it scoots along just fine. No problem getting in front of the mob of cages. It is VERY light and nimble , get's about 60mpg , and takes only 2 quarts of oil. It is a very economical way to ride.

I think I've babbled enough for my second post. Good luck !

..............................Blake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts