Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I had the misfortune to lose my transponder fob on the 10 mile journey from home to a petrol station. As I switched off, I saw the 'transponder missing' message flash up, but failed to react in time by switching back on. The fob must have fallen out of the jacket pocket I forgot to zip up. I had to phone my wife to come by car and rescue me with my spare, thank God I'd not gone a lot further before stopping.
Today I contacted the main dealer to order another - and was absolutely gobsmacked to be charged GBP240!!!!! I have to go in next Tuesday to collect it and have it registered/coded to my bike.
My insurance company aren't interested as the bike itself isn't lost or damaged, and even though I have the personal possessions extension to cover helmet & clothing, that doesn't kick in unless the bike is damaged, and the same excess applies (min £250). Fortunately, it appears I can claim against my household contents - personal possessions cover which has an excess of only £50.

The main issue though is - how the hell can Kawasaki justify £240 for a poxy little transponder containing probably less that £10 worth of components?
I will never buy another bike fitted with this system until the replacement pricing is more reasonable. :rant

·
Registered
160 Posts
You could have purchased the cheaper fob from the 2010 and 11 GTRs. It looks like a credit card and will only work by holding it against the ignition switch, but as a spare it is perfect. Because it doesn't transmit like the more expensive fobs it is also a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
242 Posts
They charge it because they can, and because you can't use the bike without one so you've no choice but to buy it. The list goes on and on €140 for 1 tyre pressure sensor, €240 for touring screen( it's a piece of plastic ! ), €400 for a pannier LID !...will I continue ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could have purchased the cheaper fob from the 2010 and 11 GTRs. It looks like a credit card and will only work by holding it against the ignition switch, but as a spare it is perfect. Because it doesn't transmit like the more expensive fobs it is also a lot cheaper.
Is that for certain? If so, I might switch.
My household insurers have changed their minds, and now say as a vehicle accessory it's excluded from my policy. :angry

Last chance, I took my spare fob into a metal detector shop and found that it can easily trigger a metal detector, so I've borrowed one and this afternoon I'm going for a long (hopefully not too long) walk!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a used 2010 Concours with no spare FOB. I never heard of the credit card thingy but discovered it accidently looking on the computer. 2 different Kawasaki dealers in Las Vegas didn't know about it either until I showed them a part #. It cost me $35 and a half hour labor ($65). Much cheaper than a new FOB and it fits on my regular key chain and I don't notice it in my pocket.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Have you had to purchase a replacement car key fob lately. That's another rude experience, especially for the European marques. I had to pay $450 dollars for a replacement Audi key fob. I new I was going to get bent over ... but really. :surprise:

·
Registered
1 Posts
They charge it because they can, and because you can't use the bike without one so you've no choice but to buy it. The list goes on and on €140 for 1 tyre pressure sensor, €240 for touring screen( it's a piece of plastic ! ), €400 for a pannier LID !...will I continue ?
But the price of the GTR1400 was the cheapest price ever for the best bike i ever bought... If you know this, try to not loose the key. Kawasaki can not be held responsible for anybody loosing his keyfob. Nobody stole my GTR1400 yet... +je

1 - 11 of 11 Posts