Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new pads and braided steel lines on the front of my bike. Some days the brakes are stiff and there is good pressure. Other days there is hardly any pressure and the brake lever almost hits the hand grip... Oh and the adjuster is on the number 1 setting. When I bought the bike I used the number 3 setting with none of these problems.:headscratch

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have new pads and braided steel lines on the front of my bike. Some days the brakes are stiff and there is good pressure. Other days there is hardly any pressure and the brake lever almost hits the hand grip... Oh and the adjuster is on the number 1 setting. When I bought the bike I used the number 3 setting with none of these problems.:headscratch
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6578

·
Registered
532 Posts
The ZX10R do have a problem with the front brakes. Besides going to the NISSIN calipers from the ZX14, there are a couple of things they can do to make it better.

First of all take it to a good dealer and let them re-shim (re-align) the calipers with the discs (most of them are not properly aligned. Yes I know, these are suppose to be floating discs but in reality they are not, so the calipers must be properly aligned).

Secondly, they can modify the piston pin inside the master cylinder (at the handle) to allow more displacement. We have had this done and it improves the brakes a lot! (But not as good as getting the NISSIN calipers!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To answer some other questions here... The brake fluid is new, I just had the brakes re-bled for the third time since I got the bike. The dealer bled them when they put on the EBC double H pads(which I think are total garbage). These pads constantly rub the rotors and squeal like they are metal to metal. I've questioned the dealer and had a thread on here about them. Everyone says give them time to break in(250 miles). I got more miles on them than that and they are worse!!! Are there any other good pads out there that don't need that much heat in them to work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
There's air still in the brake lines. Bleed them again. You may also check for leaks around the new hoses. There may be a problem with the lines or the install.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hallo There,
1bad, You Can Also Try A Simple Zip Tie, When You Park Your Bike For The Night Just Pull A Zip Tie On Your Lever And Handle Bar And Leave This For The Night So That Any Sort Of Air Stil In Your System Should Get Out Like This I Use This On Track Days And It Works Till You Ride The Wheels Of The Bike,
Another Thing , I Use Sbs Pads And They Also Make Alot Of Noise When Braking Hard, I Wouldnt Be Too Concerned About Them,
Rather Than Taking It Back To The Dealer All The Time Get A Set Of Zx14 Nissin Calipers As They Will Fit 100% Without Any Problem,
If You Still Battle Pm Me !!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm gonna try the zip tie thing tonight. My parts guy at the dealer told me about this procedure today. I think I'm gonna try Galfer pads. They have a carbon metalic pad that shouldn't be as aggressive on the rotors.

How much better are the ZX14 Nissin calipers? Where can I get them and how much? Any mods to the bike to make them fit?

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 Bad, The Zx14 Calipers Are Believed To Be Superb On The 10,
If They Can Stop A Misile Like The Zx14 On A Dime They Should Be Good Enough For The Zx10,
You Should Be Able To Get Them At Your Kawi Dealer And They Fit As If They Where Intended For The Zx 10!!! ( According To My Dealer )
I Hope You Get It Sorted!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
:rolleyes
I'm gonna try the zip tie thing tonight. My parts guy at the dealer told me about this procedure today. I think I'm gonna try Galfer pads. They have a carbon metalic pad that shouldn't be as aggressive on the rotors.

How much better are the ZX14 Nissin calipers? Where can I get them and how much? Any mods to the bike to make them fit?
about US$240 in Hong Kong without pads:rolleyes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts