Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am past the 17,000 mark on the odometer of my 10R. With it, comes heavy preventive maintenance and then some. The cost of riding high miles is the high cost to maintain ugggg.

Recent maintenance done to my 10R:
Valve inspection (no adjustment needed)
Replaced air filter
Replaced spark plugs

Future maintenance within the next month on the 10R:
Tires, front and rear
Front Sprocket
Rear Sprocket
Chain
Brake Pads
Fork Fluid

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yep! Especially at tracks days. I have had my 2005 since March 1 2005 and it has seen mucho $$ in add ons and mucho in consumables like tires, chain, sprockets, oil, filters, brake pads, even some $$ for a new ram air box (accessive wheelies) and fairing upper (front stand fell and cracked the original)...:angry

·
Registered
79 Posts
The biggest hit for me is time. I can find time to do the little stuff like air and oil. Valves, sprockets & chain, tires etc., I just don’t have enough free time. So it’s to the shop on a weekday morning then just pay the bill and hope they have it ready for the weekend. With shop rate around Portland $100. an hour and up it does take a bite out of the old fun fund.

·
Registered
138 Posts
:thumbdown The problem motorcycles have is the same as Lobster and Chicken Wings. Both of these use to be poor folks food, now you pay more for wings [wich use to get trashed]than you do for legs and thighs and I'm sure you know how costly Atlantic Lobster is. Motorcycles use to be a poor mans transportation but now it's a rich mans sport. Harley Davidson being the biggest sellout of them all. When guys who make in the upper 6 figures buy a new Harley then trailer it to Sturgis, put on all their new leathers and call themselves bikers it makes me want to puke!!! I'd have way more respect for the working class guy that showed up on his 250 Honda Rebel that he tricked out himself.:puke

G

·
crowdpleaser said:
:thumbdown The problem motorcycles have is the same as Lobster and Chicken Wings. Both of these use to be poor folks food, now you pay more for wings [wich use to get trashed]than you do for legs and thighs and I'm sure you know how costly Atlantic Lobster is. Motorcycles use to be a poor mans transportation but now it's a rich mans sport. Harley Davidson being the biggest sellout of them all. When guys who make in the upper 6 figures buy a new Harley then trailer it to Sturgis, put on all their new leathers and call themselves bikers it makes me want to puke!!! I'd have way more respect for the working class guy that showed up on his 250 Honda Rebel that he tricked out himself.:puke

Preach it brother!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Amen.

...and Beans... I'd agree with you if I actually managed to get the riding time in that I wanted to this summer, but it's a vicious circle. I had to work a lot to make money so that I could have a bike that I don't ride enough because I'm working too much to pay for the bike that I don't get to ride enough because I 'm working.... well you get the idea.

·
Registered
200 Posts
don't forget to mention the gear! $350 for a jacket, $250 for a helmet, $50 for gloves, $150 for boots, and if you want pants, $350. that's at least over $1K. now add in tires every 6K miles, $350 if you take the bike to the shop to have them put on the tires.

i think it's cheaper to take a few classes at the local community college for motorcycle mechanic to do your own maintenance.

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
rego sux big time here, cost of rego is the same as a light truck.... like a 3-5 tonne tipper ....... my last bill was $400, a car is around $300 and less.
Whats more I cant claim travel to and from work (tax return) on a bike as it's not "seen" as transport or as a vehicle of commuting to work.
I feel there is a push for small cars that are being sold for less than the cost of a bike, and as said above, this is now a rich mans sport.

Except, this is my life they're messing with............ not my sport

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have you heard of a Service Manual? It's available here on the forum. When will you guy's learn that you can save so much money doing your own work. 90 percent of motorcyce repair/maintenance can be done on your own. The hardest process is valve adjustments. Everything else is very simple, buy the parts, a 12 pac of budlight and go to work. Any questions, just hit me up? Check out my motorcycle club website. www.twistedmcc.com. Have a nice day people.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Tru dat- to play you gotta pa..

I go thru three sets of tires a year + oil and service costs.. I feel the drain.

The end result justifies the costs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
False Economy

First, thanks for welcoming me to the group, Beans. Just bought a 1986 Concourse with 29,000 on it and am taking it in for MAJOR service, as the valves haven't been adjusted for a looong time and the hoses have never been replaced as far as I know. This will probably cost at least $600 (a third of what I paid for the bike), but hey, I get 40 mpg! I used to do practically everything on my old BMWs, but at my present age, it's hard to get up off the floor. I'll just have to switch to a cheaper brand of tequila - something with a name like "Zorro".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, I clearly don't ride nearly as much as some of you guys, or at least not as hard. I put about 8000 miles on this season, and never had to buy tires because they were shot to hell, my rear now has a hole in it, but I'll wait till spring to get a new set. That way I don't have to worry at all about flat spots from storage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i do my own maintenance, use my money to buy castrol instead of silkolene, and i dont treat every stop light like it's a gran prix.

therefore, i spend no money for maintenance, $20 or less on oil changes, and buy a set of tyres for one year.

AND i put over 18,000 miles on my 2 bikes combined since april.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts