Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or wrench , my bike never came with the tool needed, and sears just sent me the wrong craftsman socket twice. finding a socket capable of fitting that tunnel is killin me lol

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
5/8 standard deepwell.

Josh

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lemme check the service manual , cause i tried it . multiple craftsman and one from advance it just doesnt fit im staring to think its not a 16mm or 5/8 spark plug which would be odd

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Usually the issue is the clearance of the socket and the actual spark plug well. Are you saying the socket simply just doesn't fit onto the sparkplug?

That would be strange. Every CR9E I have come across has been the 16mm-5/8 socket.

There are 9/16" sparkplugs, but not sure if they would even fit a ZX7.

Josh

·
Registered
272 Posts
i had the same issue with mine. 5/8 is the same as 16mm to a tee. i never got an original tool kit with my bike. what i did was took a cheapo socket and used a flat file to take the walls down a bit. i think i took it down 1 mm maybe two and kept trying to fit it in the hole. have an extension going into the socket and shave it down especially the bottom till it starts fitting. be able to twist it with ur hands and dont use a ratchet to try and squeeze it down there. keep shaving and keep hand twisting and trying the socket. it will go thru the valve cover and into the deep well.

i went to all kinds of places trying to find it and relized i could make my own instead of getting a "specialty" tool thgat would more than likely be over priced. just thin the exterior walls and smooth out the path. if i had a pic of mine id post it. hope this helps.

·
Registered
272 Posts
appx 30 of hand filing. a micrometer would be ur friend for this too help see what ur doing.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The 3/8" drive AMI Pro socket sold at Advance does not fit, but the 1/2" drive one does. At least, that was the case a few years ago.

Why the 1/2" drive socket from the same manufacturer would be slightly thinner is a mystery.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Interesting, out of all the sockets I have (Snap-on, SK, Channel, Blackhawk, Craftsman) only a cheap Stanley wouldn't fit the 93-95 sparkplug well.

Now this is in regards to a normal 5/8" deepwell and not a 5/8 sparkplug socket. I just take the rubber insert from the sparkplug socket and put it into the deepwell.

Josh

·
Registered
158 Posts
I actually orderd the 16 mm box wrench from the original tool box from the bike becouse I too had a great failure in finding what's gonna grab and fit in the spark plug .

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Yamaha FZR 600's,zx9's (94-97) and ZX12's all have a similar size spark plug. You might want to search Ebay for a factory tool. I can also say I know all of these will work on the ZX7's

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Snap-On 3/8" 16mm deep has thin enough walls to do the trick.
You just need a magnet to actually pull the plug out.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I got curious...

I was wrong my cheap Stanley socket was actually my main "ghetto" spark plug...

All are 3/8 Drive 5/8" deep wells:

SK 21.44mm
Snap-on 21.15mm
Stanley 21.78mm
Evercraft 21.58mm Sparkplug socket

These did not fit my 1993 ZX7:

Craftsman 21.99mm Sparkplug socket
Blackhawk 21.87mm

Josh

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
/shrug, maybe the pmodels are larger, but the 5/8th plug socket in my stanley set fits perfectly.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I find it interesting some have no issues and others have to grind the crap out of the sockets to make them fit... All on the same model.

Josh

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Yeah I have a cheap, normal Stanley deepwell that fits. I would tend to think anything over 21.8 mm outside diameter of the socket likely would not fit.

At least with my old 93.

It might be a case of the newer being made thicker because of weaker steel? All my older sockets are very thinwall, the newer stuff is thicker.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts