Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 301 Posts

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took on the hobby about a year ago and I'm totally loving the hobby. I'd read and seen videos of the hobby and although I bought a DJI Phantom a few months ago but actually returned it. Yep shipped it back. I didn't want to crash the damn thing especially not knowing how the heck to fly. I didn't feel like taking on an almost $1700 loss so decided instead to buy a much cheaper quadcopter to learn and practice how to fly. I'm glad I did because I spent countless hours practicing to perfect my skill level. (Not as easy as people may think it is.)

Now I'm so ready for a more sophisticated quadcopter so I went ahead and purchased DJI's newest copter, the Spark. Should have it early next week and plan to put my skills to use.

Have you guys fly copters? Hey EZ you still flying yours or did you buy another one? I might get the Mavic Pro ? maybe next.

·
Administrator
58,364 Posts
The spark is kind of cool but it's only the wifi version and you use your phone as the controller or purchase a controller which is kind of pricey.
The mavic pro has a lot of advantages but I hear guys going back to the phantom series. Not sure if they're more fun to fly.
The mavic pro you can use the dji goggles without any wires and it has head tracking.
I just got the Avegant Glyph goggles but haven't flown with them yet

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the combo Spark version so it has the RC. I plan to use the OTG cable (got it from Drone Valley) which bypasses the wifi connect. Heard it's much better response time.

Hey which one is the one on the far right hand side? looks awesome bro!

·
Administrator
58,364 Posts
I've been getting braver and flying higher and farther and using the RTH or the gps map
It was windy here and the video was so still but it used up a lot of battery so I didn't get too far
This is Sycamore canyon where we go camping and riding outside Williams AZ

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That Yuneec q500 is awesome.

That's some great footage. I've yet to use the RTH so it'll be interesting how accurate it is. From the videos I've seen, it seems pretty spot on.

What distance have you gone before it activates? I'm used to visual flying so it's going to be challenge to fly looking at the iPhone screen when the copter is say a mile away.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I plan to keep the battery level at 30% so I'll have more juice to land. Don't to plan go too far...well at least for now. >:)

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I meant to say that although you're still using wifi for activating the connect with the OTG, you'll have better reception on the screen because it's hardwired. Much better than just relying on only the wifi.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought the correct OTG from 'Drone Valley' that will make the difference regarding iPhone screen and communication between the two devices.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have the 'active tracking' feature on your Phantom 4 or on the yuneec q500 ? to track your boat.

Looking to use the feature when riding on a closed wide area.

·
Administrator
58,364 Posts
Do you have the 'active tracking' feature on your Phantom 4 or on the yuneec q500 ? to track your boat.

Looking to use the feature when riding on a closed wide area.
Not on the phantom 3. I think you need to use the litchi app.
I think the spark has follow me
the q500 has follow me but it's a slower drone
I was flying the drone while wife was driving the boat so it was a free flight

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gotcha, good control because it was right there with the boat. That's what I plan to use on the Spark once it arrives. If I use the sport mode, the obstacle avoidance is deactivated so need to watch where the hell I'm going. It's super fast..think it's 31 mph which is pretty quick for that mini thingy.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I did. Wow that Spark is insane. Super impressed with the quality and how easy it is to fly it. Thing is tiny (like that I can just pack it quickly and go). Hovers wherever you put it; took it to 300 ft and it stayed spot on and didn't sway at all. I didn't have the OTG cable but got it today so will be testing the distance over the weekend. Going to attempt to take it near this little bird island near my home which I think it's about a mile or so away. Super excited to fly this bad boy over the weekend!

1 - 20 of 301 Posts