Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the benefits of today's slipper clutches, how often do you blip the throttle? On the track and/or on the street? Ever locked up the backend?

·
Registered
131 Posts
ya, even though my bike has a slipper clutch, I still blip....some habits you just can't break, it's just a natural motion, like shifting.....

·
Registered
604 Posts
Only notice it when it happens, then i'm like, oops... But never really thought about it!:headscratch

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
almost always

·
Registered
532 Posts
Even with the "Slipper"-clutch, ther will always be a little lock-up of the rear wheel if you drop the clutch quickly when downshifting, before the clutch start to slip. This may still upset the bike's handling a little, although much less than without the slipper clutch.

I therefore always also "blip the throttle when downshifting just to get the RPM in line, find that the bike is much more stable when downshifting going into a corner, and a lot less wear on the rear tyre!

·
Registered
9 Posts
In addition to Blip shifting. Talked about on another MC forum is STAR shifting.
Understand blipping when slowing down using engine breaking forces.

STAR method is downshifiting in preparation to slow. Throttle is maintained, a quick disengagement of the clutch unloads the engine. This unloading the engine quickly increases the RPM. Using this increase in rpm to downshift a gear.

Blip and Star. One is used during off throttle. Other is used during maintained throttle.

The STAR clutch useage is 1/2 disengaged for fractions of second. In that short time the gear is shifted.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
In addition to Blip shifting. Talked about on another MC forum is STAR shifting.
Understand blipping when slowing down using engine breaking forces.

STAR method is downshifiting in preparation to slow. Throttle is maintained, a quick disengagement of the clutch unloads the engine. This unloading the engine quickly increases the RPM. Using this increase in rpm to downshift a gear.

Blip and Star. One is used during off throttle. Other is used during maintained throttle.

The STAR clutch useage is 1/2 disengaged for fractions of second. In that short time the gear is shifted.
Didn't know there was a name for it ......... I do this when I'm just cruising around because it's a little quieter .... just hold the throttle and slip down the gears:clap

·
Registered
138 Posts
Old habit? :squint Makes you sound like you know what you're doing?:rolleyes It sounds cool?:crazyloco I dunno, it's like shit - it just happens!:potty

·
Registered
368 Posts
I guess it all depends how fast you wanna slow down. I mostly blip and apply brake only at the final stop. Sometimes I blip and brake simultaneously. In case of emergency... Blip, brake, and drag feet. Ha ha ha ha. :crazyloco
Blipping also saves a little brake pad I would imagine.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I think its important to remember that you can still over rev your bike by downshifting even if you have a rev limiter. The rev limiter may cut out the ignition to prevent over rev, but if you down shift and the rear wheel starts driving that motor REALLY fast, it doesn't matter what the ignition is doing, that motor is gonna rev. I'm bringing this up cause I just helped my brother disassemble a ford motor out of a road race car. All the pistons had valve marks on them. The owner was like " how could it over rev with the rev limiter on it?" Well, the fact that he held it to redline in third, then went for 4th and hit 2nd, that might have helped.
T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts