Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the user's manual of Two Brothers Slip-on for '07 ZX-6r, it states that the exhaust should be repacked (with that silencer insert) perdiodically, or else it would overheat and could damage the exhaust's carbon fiber cover and the bike.

Is this true? If so, would the titanium version be immune to this?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Yes, carbon fiber is quite more sensible to heat than any metal. So, maintening the packing is quite important, particularlly with a carbon fiber sleeve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, would this mean it would be OK if we use Ti version? I just don't want to bother : )

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm afraid about this, too, and if this is the case, I will buy the Titanium version instead. Does anyone know anything about this?

what do you guys mean by repack? i don't understand. i have an akra slip on...will i need to do this with the cf tip?

·
Registered
5 Posts
the fiber packing inside the muffler over time will become clogged and cause un wanted back pressure inside the pipe, which will cause the bike to run hotter, hindering performance and putting un due stress on the muffler. Carbon fiber is only good upto certain temps before the gel coat starts to wear away. The quality of the carbon fiber has alot to do with it wearing out as well. It is a good idea to repack the muffler every once in a while. The manufacturer of the slip on you have can give you an approx amount of hours on a pipe before it needs to be repacked. Its fairly simple to do and doesnt take much time. A friend of mine and blown two pipes apart due to the extreme nature of his riding while not repacking his muffler. One was aluminum and was easily fixed the other was titanium which is almost impossible to fix just like carbon fiber. Some pipes are so free flowing though that even though it is recomended to repack it may not be neccecary. Many of my friends have aftermarket pipes and have never repacked them or had problems. I would do a little research into the pipe you have to see if there have been many inccidents from not repacking and make a decision on whether or not you will repack yours from that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts