Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pan on my 1997 zx6r TRACK BIKE cracked, so I bought a new one, however the new pan doesnt have the holes or threads for the oil coolers piping. Do I REALLY need the oil cooler, or can I just fit it without?

The reason I capitalised TRACK BIKE is because of my thinking that because its a track bike, itll only be hot for a short amount of time, and wont need the cooler.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure it's the right pan ? Why would it not be there?
The new pan is from an early 2000s model zx6r... Probably shouldve said that... The points for the hoses are there, but there are no holes drilled through, or threads tapped.

All the mounting points are the same, which is why I figured it would be alright, until it arrived in the post yesterday.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it were my bike, I'd stick with the OEM setup. Anything that helps keep a hot-running engine run COOLER cannot possibly be a bad thing.

To put this in perspective, there are quite a few air-cooled bikes (from the early-days of 'superbikes') which came equipped with factory-installed oil-coolers; most notably: the 1st & 2nd-gen GPz 550, 750 and 1100's (I think the 2nd-gen KZ's did too, just before they were replaced by the GPz's) the big-bore Yamaha's (FJ1100/1200's) and Seca 900 before that, Honda's only put them on a few CB 650 & 700 Nighthawks (but NOT the 550 ?) and the family of CB1100F superbikes, and Suzuki was making MAJOR use of them on the later-model GS 550/750/1150 ES/ESF's, the (short-lived) early Katana 1100's and of course most of us are familiar with the stellar succe$$ Suzuki enjoyed with the 1st Gen Gixxer 750's and 1100's with primary oil-cooling, before switching to water-cooling (with smaller oil-cooler as backup) which started ADDING unnecessary weight to all thier flag-ship sport-bikes...and they are only NOW learning to compensate for with radically-updated (lightened) frame-designs...

...have'nt spent any time around any Ducati's or other Italian/European makes, so I am unsure of how many (if any) are (or have been) using oil-coolers...

...but my point being if the 'Gods of Engineering' intended for that particular model to have an oil-cooler, and if the 'higher-ups' to whom they report to gave the green-light to put them ON the bikes (or offer them as an 'optional upgrade') then there's probably a good reason to stick with thier original intent.

In addition, I've yet to have NOT seen one on most muscle-cars and even the older 'golden-age' hand-built/exotic race-cars have them as well.

That's GOTTA be a good indication that it's 'helpful' in some way, shape or form.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The new pan is from an early 2000s model zx6r... Probably shouldve said that... The points for the hoses are there, but there are no holes drilled through, or threads tapped.

All the mounting points are the same, which is why I figured it would be alright, until it arrived in the post yesterday.
It's not a smallblock Chevy . Motorcycle engines go through re design every few years or yearly . All parts houses have a cross reference feature here's yours .

1995 NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600-F1) - Breather Cover/Oil Pan
1996 NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600-F2) - Breather Cover/Oil Pan
1997 NINJA ZX-6R (ZX600-F3) - Breather Cover/Oil Pan

·
6,618 Posts
Let me make it simple for you. I have four Factory Works ZX7R Kawasaki team engines and had a bunch of ZX6R engines next to them when we picked up a few of these works engines from Muzzy. All of the ZX7R and ZX6R engines were designed to be TRACK ONLY and all had a heat exchanger or oil cooler). Run one or you will regret it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
He's gone . Melting it down and re casting would be the only way to make a 2000 something pan fit a 97.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

Thanks a lot for the help guys. Ive decided to go to an engineering place down the road to get it drilled and tapped, so I can use the new pan. Again, thanks for all the help, really appreciated!!

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me make it simple for you. I have four Factory Works ZX7R Kawasaki team engines and had a bunch of ZX6R engines next to them when we picked up a few of these works engines from Muzzy. All of the ZX7R and ZX6R engines were designed to be TRACK ONLY and all had a heat exchanger or oil cooler). Run one or you will regret it.
I have a question with similar problem.
I own a 2000 600zxr and the engine was pooched, when I got it.
I picked up a engine that appears to be a earlier one.
My problem is the same in the sense that mine is a 2000 and has the cooler built into the spout for the oil filter. Then to the rad.
The engine i will be using is the older style with a separate rad.
Can I remove the system from my 2000 600 engine?
Then put it on my older model?
Thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts