Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the 14 forum but no responses yet. I'm looking at a 2000 ZX12 with a turbo and am wondering if there is anything about the 12 that would keep me from getting serious as opposed to buying a 14 wich I would imagine has newer technology. Things like vibration, handling, reliability, much difference? I know the turbo won't be as reliable but I mean overall.
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 12 is an amazing machine and is EXTREMELY smooth. I can't say a whole lot about the 2000 but my 03 floats like a caddy. And it's been lowered and extended. The biggest difference I felt between my 03 ZX-12 and my friends 07 ZX-14 is that his throttle was a bit smoother. But then again, his is stock and mine has about 15k aftermarket including dyno tuned, Muzzy clutch/basket and a bunch others that would effect the throttle response.

Besides - the 12 is SO MUCH SEXIER than the 14. Better lines and more attention. Another thing is the 12 is no longer made, so owning one, in my opinion, is owning a legacy in motorcycling.

One thing about the 12 though is the stock clutch baskets had a tendancy to crack when people ragged out the bike and dragged them all the time. The best investment for any 12 is a new clutch and basket.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 12 is an amazing machine and is EXTREMELY smooth. I can't say a whole lot about the 2000 but my 03 floats like a caddy. And it's been lowered and extended. The biggest difference I felt between my 03 ZX-12 and my friends 07 ZX-14 is that his throttle was a bit smoother. But then again, his is stock and mine has about 15k aftermarket including dyno tuned, Muzzy clutch/basket and a bunch others that would effect the throttle response.

Besides - the 12 is SO MUCH SEXIER than the 14. Better lines and more attention. Another thing is the 12 is no longer made, so owning one, in my opinion, is owning a legacy in motorcycling.

One thing about the 12 though is the stock clutch baskets had a tendancy to crack when people ragged out the bike and dragged them all the time. The best investment for any 12 is a new clutch and basket.
With the turbo he has upgraded the clutch basket and the clutch among other things.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Get the 12. No question about it!! But then again, I'm biased

·
Registered
33 Posts
My 2002....

I love my 12 and just can't wrap my mind around the 14...you can make a fast amc pacer or gremlin.....but I still wouldn't drive it if I could have a bit slower camero or mustang......
The other thing to think about is that how much power do you really need to to have a good time... the 12 that I have has been dynoed at 185 hp and 105 lbs of torque....thats pretty healthy.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm about the same. I've got mine dyboed 175 at the wheel and 96 torque at the wheel. Pretty healthy as well. Running 9.2's consistently

·
Registered
683 Posts
No doubt the 12 is one of the best looking bikes ever. The 14's looks are on the same level of strangeness as the busa. And with the turbo, you'll be dusting the 14 no problem. And don't listen to people who tell you the turbo will have a bunch of lag. They may have back in the early 80's but todays modern systems are very responsive. Get the 12 and tell us how awesome it is.
T

·
Registered
33 Posts
heres my dyno chart....

My bike is stock except for a hindle pipe and PC3 and it is quite healthy. It makes a difference who dynos it....My guy was Mike Velasco and he has been a tuner for HRC and priviters for 35 years...hell the local teams with dynos at their shops bring their race bikes to him to be mapped.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
i dont c how a zx12 dynos at over 170 without some kind of engine work. i could see maybe 150's stock then maybe another 10 with pipe and pc. but 185, come on b

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can only say that.....

I took my bike and the hindle pipe down to mike valeasco at brothers ...they
hung the pipe and dyno'd it... the results are on the sheet that I put there... there are the 3 runs were he tweeked the map and that is what came up. Now he tunes for alot of the ducati guys in seattle that race and he does lots of other race teams also... he has 35 years of racing experience and is a master in the art of tuning... he gets what he gets by years of doing it... now if I was to run it on a different dyno it may be lower or higher... but when my bike hits 7 grand things go blurry..... is this to brag....I think not...could it be lower...maybe... but he is the pro and I am the customer and this is the print out that was given to me...after a hour of tweeking and such and high end dyno runs.... take your bike there hang a hindle and then lets see what you walk away from there with....apples to apples ... I really don't care so much about the numbers as I do the results... the bike is much more managable in the lower range and friggen crazy at top end.... YRMV

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have both... and the 14, though ugly in the front, is vastly superior to the
12. Much smoother, handles better, and the brakes are magical...

I'm not being cocky, but I really ride hard... knee down in turns etc, and
the 14 is soooo stable. At flat out speeds through the desert for miles
on end (not just a 1 mile at Maxton, but MILES on end flat out) it is rock
solid. Doesn't dance around, never unstable, it is AMAZING. The brakes
are equal, in that time after time they don't fade, grab, chatter, just smooth
and PREDICTABLE.

I don't care how UGLY it may be, it's got it's shit together.

Now, 12 owners, don't be mad, but come on, Kawi had 8 years to improve
everything on the 14, IT SHOULD BE BETTER... and it is.

If you plan on doing high speed runs a lot, lower the rear with bones to the
middle hole... it gives you a bit more rake on the front end, which makes
top speed runs even more stable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
ITs a personal choice

Theres a reason people get attached to their bikes.... its like women, you look at everything that moves...but when its done and over you come back to what you like and want... I just like and want my 12 because it looks good to me for a superbike and it does things that I shouldn't do, but can... in the end on the street....where we shouldn't be doing things... the 12 does it all and far better than many other bikes.... I suppose that if I had the money to have many bikes I would have a 14, zx10, rc51, gamma, rz350 and my 12 but still the list grows on .. :runaway and as the list grows on...I am reminded of the old song...if you cant be with the one ya love, love the one your with...... :mfclap

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well just to inform people, I did end up buying the turbo 12 and have been happy as could be. The acceleration is OH MY GOD AWSOME. Believe it or not I went up against a busa turbo on sunday and after one quick sprint I couldn't get him to go again as I walked away from him pretty bad and I don't think he wanted to admit to himself what just happened. I don't think he knew I was turboed so he must have been amazed, although he might have seen the nitrous bottle but that was turned off anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,302 Posts
Don't waste your time with the 14. It is ugly as a shit pie.
That wasn't nice. I have them both in the back as well. The 12 is a classic and will never part with it. And it will still perform with the best of them, but even it has its limits. I do agree with 238mph that the advances made with the ZX 14 are exceptional. I like the look of both and I have to say that most people that used to think the ZX 14 wasn't sexy, change their mind when they see mine. I get compliments from all kinds of riders. Opinions are free and plentiful, though. So, to each his own.

To answer the question which started this thread, go with what you like. I can't speak much on the turbo aspect as I have never owned one myself.

·
Registered
43 Posts
i combind the two. i love my 12lve, but the 14teen is not sexy. so i just put the 14teen motor on my 12lve. and made a (BEAST)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts