Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a 2000ZX12 with a turbo and am wondering what the differences are between them are. The 12 has all the right stuff and puts out 300hp which would be a lot of fun. Any major concerns with the 12 that should prevent me from getting serious?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes. A bike with 300 bhp. :crazyloco
+1

I wouldn't guess my 14 is putting out any more than 180 or so with all the mods, and it's fast enough for me. then again, it takes all kinds, but I'm wondering why anyone would want 300hp unless it's a strictly drag bike. Seems like that much on the street would not only be dangerous, but pretty much useless?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1

I wouldn't guess my 14 is putting out any more than 180 or so with all the mods, and it's fast enough for me. then again, it takes all kinds, but I'm wondering why anyone would want 300hp unless it's a strictly drag bike. Seems like that much on the street would not only be dangerous, but pretty much useless?
I guess as they say you can never have enough money and fast is never fast enough. You can ride a bike like that as slow or as fast as you like as long as you respect it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
On a serious note, my guess is somebody that has jacked their bike to 300bhp and its on a little older bike, and is now getting rid of it, MAY have ran the crap out of it on the drag strip.

Pick up a new or like new 14 that was owned by a squid that has 2 inches of chicken strips on both sides. Then you know the bike wasn't rode hard!

/.02

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vegas > I'd never buy a squid-ridden 14 with chicken strips... imagine the damage to the transmission... bad gear changes... burnouts.. wheelies.. various f-ups while attempting such shennanigans.. no warmup... possibly shoddy maintenance...

·
Registered
266 Posts
Vegas > I'd never buy a squid-ridden 14 with chicken strips... imagine the damage to the transmission... bad gear changes... burnouts.. wheelies.. various f-ups while attempting such shennanigans.. no warmup... possibly shoddy maintenance...
Well, I think maybe I didn't explain what I ment clearly; perhaps I should of said buy one from a newb rather than use the term squid precisely because it wouldn't have been ridden hard by a guy that owned one and was clearly in over his head.

·
Registered
71 Posts
:rotflmao
On a serious note, my guess is somebody that has jacked their bike to 300bhp and its on a little older bike, and is now getting rid of it, MAY have ran the crap out of it on the drag strip.

Pick up a new or like new 14 that was owned by a squid that has 2 inches of chicken strips on both sides. Then you know the bike wasn't rode hard!

/.02
:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well, I think maybe I didn't explain what I ment clearly; perhaps I should of said buy one from a newb rather than use the term squid precisely because it wouldn't have been ridden hard by a guy that owned one and was clearly in over his head.

Let me give it a try.....
I think you may have meant... try buying a slightly used 14 from one of those parking lot riders. You know, the guys that buy a 14, shine the hell out of it, putt down to the local Mac Donalds parking lot with their helmet straped to the back of the bike, park, stand beside their bike and say, "Hey... Look at me, I have a bad ass bike!"

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me give it a try.....
I think you may have meant... try buying a slightly used 14 from one of those parking lot riders. You know, the guys that buy a 14, shine the hell out of it, putt down to the local Mac Donalds parking lot with their helmet straped to the back of the bike, park, stand beside their bike and say, "Hey... Look at me, I have a bad ass bike!"
How did you guys know that is the type of person that "owned" it. Yes I bought it. The owner is in his fifties an engineer of some sort owns other bikes and was beyond meticulous. I simply don't understand some peoples negative attitudes about high horsepower vehicles. They don't seem to think that a 180hp sport bike could kill them in a second if they aren't paying attention and treat the vehicle with respect. Do they think that all the people that buy cars with over 500hp are nuts too. For me the thrill of the accelleration under the right conditions is what it is all about. I have been riding over 40 years and know when the conditions are favorable for a blast. Obviously this is not to say something unfortunate could not happen. But these are the risks we take when riding fast bikes.
Off the soap box for now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
How did you guys know that is the type of person that "owned" it. Yes I bought it. The owner is in his fifties an engineer of some sort owns other bikes and was beyond meticulous. I simply don't understand some peoples negative attitudes about high horsepower vehicles. They don't seem to think that a 180hp sport bike could kill them in a second if they aren't paying attention and treat the vehicle with respect. Do they think that all the people that buy cars with over 500hp are nuts too. For me the thrill of the accelleration under the right conditions is what it is all about. I have been riding over 40 years and know when the conditions are favorable for a blast. Obviously this is not to say something unfortunate could not happen. But these are the risks we take when riding fast bikes.
Off the soap box for now.
I don't think anyone was directing those comments towards you. We were talking about the "posers" that have NO experience that are allowed to purchase these type of bikes for their first bike..... just to be.... "KOOL"!
Those people shouldn't even be grouped into the "motorcycle rider" catagory! The only thing they're good at is raising our insurance rates!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I'm in the process of building a tubo bike myself. So, you know my vote, go with the turbo 12 all the way. The nice thing about a turbo bike is that its very docile until you turn the throttle. No high compression or radical cams needed. And runs just fine on pump gas as long as you turn the boost down low or just don't twist the grip all the way. Then take it to the strip, fill it with race gas, up the boost, and go for it. My dad had a KZ1000 turbo back in the day. Rode it on long trips with no problems, ran it on 87 octane when thats all he could find. Turbo all the way!
T

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Good luck with your new old bike . My ridin buddy has had a 2000 ZX12r for 6 years now and has upgraded with a 1470 head kit,commdr, full Muzzy system, a dry shot nitr., 6'' swing ext. 300 rear and some other mods says he's dyno'd at over 250 never seen the sheet and he's been none to embelish!! haven't we all. But he still thinks the world of it. He says he still likes it and planned on keepin it a while.... till I pulled in his garage with my 14, I catch him starin quite often. I:rofl 've riden it a few times and it's a handful for sure ,folks are right when they question a 300 hp bike it's hard to get that to the ground in a useful way.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck with your new old bike . My ridin buddy has had a 2000 ZX12r for 6 years now and has upgraded with a 1470 head kit,commdr, full Muzzy system, a dry shot nitr., 6'' swing ext. 300 rear and some other mods says he's dyno'd at over 250 never seen the sheet and he's been none to embelish!! haven't we all. But he still thinks the world of it. He says he still likes it and planned on keepin it a while.... till I pulled in his garage with my 14, I catch him starin quite often. I:rofl 've riden it a few times and it's a handful for sure ,folks are right when they question a 300 hp bike it's hard to get that to the ground in a useful way.
Well I went to Nashville and we went for a 300 mile ride. I was very impressed. I thought for sure that the 240 rear tire along with a 6 " extended arm, would surely have a big negative effect in the twisties. I was pleasantly supprised that it handled as good as it did. When you get on boost which I only did in 4th & part of 5th you realize how well the tire and arm work together to give a rock solid ride at 170mph. As I get more comfortable I will get into boost in the lower gears. Even the prior owner said first is just about uncontrollable. So far so good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
+1

It's the good feeling you have when you are controlling a motorcycle with 300 hp. My ZX-14 is being tuned now. I expect 225 hp. To make my point a little better, I also have a corvette with 915 hp.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well I went to Nashville and we went for a 300 mile ride. I was very impressed. I thought for sure that the 240 rear tire along with a 6 " extended arm, would surely have a big negative effect in the twisties. I was pleasantly supprised that it handled as good as it did. When you get on boost which I only did in 4th & part of 5th you realize how well the tire and arm work together to give a rock solid ride at 170mph. As I get more comfortable I will get into boost in the lower gears. Even the prior owner said first is just about uncontrollable. So far so good.

6" extended swing arm + 240 rear tire + handling the TWISTIES =

YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sound like Gary Reese's 12 in Ashland City.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts