Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i brought my 08 ZX6R to the drag strip on friday. First time in 2 years and the last time i went the bike was stock. I sucked launching then and i suck launching now :angry. So my mods are in my sig and since i knew i was gonna be horrible at launching because of A. scared shitless to take off like that. B. Never launch like that really and C. Just replaced the top end of my engine so now the bike feels a whole new bike (one of my valves were slightly bent and wouldnt close all the way).

So i set a low goal of 12.5. My runs went...

Did a couple more in between but either fucked up my launch horribly or missed a gear which i dont know how since i dont use the clutch and i flipped the linkage and went gp style. My 60's ranged from 2.5 to 2.2 and my trap speeds were 117-118mph.

My gf made some friends with the other riders wifes/gf's and got invited to the tree to get some good pictures and videos. I chatted with the guys and they gave me some tips but it all comes down to practice and getting over the fear of launching at 10k. Few times i felt the front wheel come up. In the right lane i was getting speed wobble (other rides were getting it as well). So i was nervous as hell.

So today i went out to a closed road that is under construction and just practiced my launches. I'm getting better and more confident but still need some advice. Now when you stage, for me its 10k. I feather the clutch out when i leave and let the rpms hold so i dont bog down. When i first let the clutch out (still holding it abit), should i be slamming the throttle as well or wait for the clutch to be fully engaged?

Heres some pics and videos.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
yea you definitely need more aggressive starts. try to take the rpm to about 8k (or wherever your torque starts really rolling in) now don't drop the clutch, let it out quickly enough to get the weight to transfer to the rear wheel then let the clutch the rest of the way out while rolling into he throttle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts