Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone! newbie to the forum. I hope this post does not violate any rules. I am stuck on the decision whether to buy the ZX-14 or the Concours 14. I have not bought either yet. My original idea was the ZX-14 (besides they say it could also be a tourer, especially if you add quick release bags - Motech/Givi). Then I saw the Concours 14/GTR1400. So now I am thinking - the Concours equals versatitlity. I can ride in comfort with bags, sporty mode, and seemingly have the best of both worlds of the 2 bikes. I know the decision is mine, but I just wanted to know if anyone had any advice or had similar thoughts. I don't really tour, but if I had this bike I just might start. Also I am undecided on the looks of the Concours 14 with the saddle bags off. Also I never really considered shaft - but I know technology makes them excellent now. With the ZX-14, I can keep the good looks (especially the twin pipes compared to the big bazooka on the Concours) and add bags whenever desired. Anyone and all, please give me your thoughts.....Concours 14....or.....ZX-14.:banghead.
THANKS,

G

·
Man for me making a decision like that is a dream as the funds are lacking. But when I think it over it all comes down to is this a daily driver or a once a week I take a nice ride and do a couple long trips. If commuter I say ZX-14 because from the sounds of it it'll make everyday a good day. But if less city more highway and long trip I'd be all over that Concourse like White on Rice! Just my opinion.
Drew~

·
Registered
266 Posts
That's a tough one. I own two bikes, one for touring (HD Ultra Classic) and one for sporting around on (ZX-14). However, if I was cornered and could ONLY have one bike, and one alone, I would get the Concours.

Why? Well I like to tour. It's fun. Also, if you are going to commute at all with the bike, the saddle bags are a nice plus. And yes, while the ZX-14 is comfortable, remember its STILL a sportbike. So comfort is relative. I wouldn't want to regularly commute on my ZX-14 although I am sure many do.

Again, don't get me wrong. I LOVE my ZX-14. It's power, it's feel, it's looks. And I prefer riding it any day over my HD (unless I'm going for a long haul). But if I were forced to own only one bike, it'd be the Concours 14. It's just much more versatile. And with the bags off, I'm sure it's plenty sporty.

Either way, I am sure you will be THRILLED with your choice.

/.02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the excellent reply Drewfus and MotoVegas. Your feedback definitely gives me some good advice to consider. I guess I need to ponder more closely whether I will be more of a commuter or tourer, or equally both which further complicates my decision. The initial ZX-14 hype blew me away and I said, I must get one! Then the hype of the Concours 14/GTR1400 being a supersport transcontinental tourer born of the ZX-14 got my attention too. Two bikes would be the answer for sure. I will continue to see other's feedback and make my decision.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks for the excellent reply Drewfus and MotoVegas. Your feedback definitely gives me some good advice to consider. I guess I need to ponder more closely whether I will be more of a commuter or tourer, or equally both which further complicates my decision. The initial ZX-14 hype blew me away and I said, I must get one! Then the hype of the Concours 14/GTR1400 being a supersport transcontinental tourer born of the ZX-14 got my attention too. Two bikes would be the answer for sure. I will continue to see other's feedback and make my decision.
Yeah, since you are so torn, I'd wait until the Concours is out. Then got see both, side by side at the Kawi dealership. Sit on them. Remove the bags on the Concours. Sit tucked on both. Etc. Also, read up on both. By then read up on some reviews by unbiased third parties about the Concours (and not just Kawi publicity hype). Great thing is, it's fun research and the payoff at the end of your research will be a great bike no matter which route you go!!!

BTW, be sure to keep us up to speed on your choice. Also, if you'd like to read my personal review of the ZX-14, you can do so here at this link.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel your pain Z14nZConcourspwr. I currently have an 0512R and I love the heck out of it! The problem is I'm getting older and the riding position makes me uncomfortable after a steady 1 hour ride at 70mph. I considered Helibars and a Corbin seat, but I still can't add a nice set of hard bags due to the height of the exhaust can. Then I saw, sat on, lusted after and dreamed about the Concours14 during Biketoberfest. I can't wait until March so that I can demo ride one. If it rides as nice as it looks, then the decision will be that much easier for me, I'll get a Concours14. As far as the exhaust can on the Concours, just replace it with an aftermarket one. Trust me the bike is beautiful with or without the hard bags. KHI really did their homework on the looks and if it rides as good as my 12R or as good as I hear the 14 does, then it'll definitely be a winner. Of course, if I could affort two then I would keep the 12R and get a Concours. I also considered the 14 and just add hard bags, but if the Concours is what it should be then it makes sense to just get the Concours, which comes with hard bags and ABS and an electrically adjustable windshield, and four link rear suspension, you get the idea!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Moto Vegas,

I've now read your report. I'm glad I did :clap it's pretty good and funny, too.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. I would expect the GTR1400 to benefit from the same degree of manufacturing excellence, plus the VVT system and all other goodies. :runaway I am definitely gonna get me one later this year :crazyloco

Motorman,

I sure envy you. I still haven't managed to park my butt on the GTR.
When I saw it at the Milan Bike Show in Milan last November the bike was off limits to the general public. I could drool over it all I wanted but not touch it.

They only allowed models to pose on it. And God only knows I could never be mistaken for a model...:rolleyes :lol :rolleyes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the feedback Motorman2406. It appears that you are doing some homework also. Its good to hear that the bike looks good with the bags on or off, and that if I desired there will most likely be an aftermarket pipe to replace the Bazooka Tommy Gun exhaust. I thought about the age thing too, and I realize I like to haul butt for now, but I am getting just a little bit older :smile, so the Concours 14 should definitely do the trick and save the wear and tear on my back and body. Also like you mentioned, I did visualize that to put after market bags on the ZX-14 could represent a problem due to the twin pipes. I think I am getting there! The Concours 14 is definitely sounding like the way to go. Just as MotoVegas mentioned (I also read his article on the ZX-14...nice article), and you mentioned in your reply: I will wait for the bike to comeout for my next moves. Then I will do my research by sitting on the bike, riding it, taking the bags off for different views, and comparing it side by side with the ZX-14 as MotoVegas mentioned. My pain is becoming a little easier with my decision. I will post an update in the future. Likewise, if you get the bike and get a test ride, etc - please let me know.
I feel your pain Z14nZConcourspwr. I currently have an 0512R and I love the heck out of it! The problem is I'm getting older and the riding position makes me uncomfortable after a steady 1 hour ride at 70mph. I considered Helibars and a Corbin seat, but I still can't add a nice set of hard bags due to the height of the exhaust can. Then I saw, sat on, lusted after and dreamed about the Concours14 during Biketoberfest. I can't wait until March so that I can demo ride one. If it rides as nice as it looks, then the decision will be that much easier for me, I'll get a Concours14. As far as the exhaust can on the Concours, just replace it with an aftermarket one. Trust me the bike is beautiful with or without the hard bags. KHI really did their homework on the looks and if it rides as good as my 12R or as good as I hear the 14 does, then it'll definitely be a winner. Of course, if I could affort two then I would keep the 12R and get a Concours. I also considered the 14 and just add hard bags, but if the Concours is what it should be then it makes sense to just get the Concours, which comes with hard bags and ABS and an electrically adjustable windshield, and four link rear suspension, you get the idea!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I too am not much to look at and can never be mistaken for a model, like Teerex51 said :lol And I certainly will post back as I get more information/demo ride or whatever comes first. As long as KHI doesn't completely kill the top end rush in favor of a mostrous midrange then I don't see any reason not to get the Concours14. We can only hope and wait but looking at the ZX14, I don't think they'll let us down.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I too am not much to look at and can never be mistaken for a model, like Teerex51 said :lol And I certainly will post back as I get more information/demo ride or whatever comes first. As long as KHI doesn't completely kill the top end rush in favor of a mostrous midrange then I don't see any reason not to get the Concours14. We can only hope and wait but looking at the ZX14, I don't think they'll let us down.
I can't imagine de-balling this engine; even if they tried. It's simply unrivaled in power imho. Even toning it down a bit for touring... there will be no other tourer in it's class. That's my bet.

In fact, isnt Kawi calling it a "Hyper Sport-touring" class. I know its PR, but still it seems that's exactly what they are shooting for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Hyper Sport-touring" is right...

MotoVegas:
[In fact, isnt Kawi calling it a "Hyper Sport-touring" class. I know its PR, but still it seems that's exactly what they are shooting for.]
This statement is a runner-up for the Understatement of the Year award! We saw the bike at the AMA show up here in Seattle in December, and now I have to go out and spend MORE money to get The "Hyper-Connie" (Anyone want to buy a used FJR1300?) The only complaint I have so far is about that GAWD-awful color scheme they chose! Is someone at Kawasaki color-blind? It would explain some of their choices of colors over the years...

·
Registered
52 Posts
IMHO it's MUCH better in the Diablo black. I thinks it's due to the fact the black ABS plastic parts blend better with the black paint.
Oh and before someone says black is harder to keep clean....I buy them to ride 'em, not sit in the Garage and polish 'em.:evil

·
Registered
57 Posts
any idea how much the GTR is gunna cost?? I presume it's gunna cost more than the 14~ if it costs less, then I may have to add it into my considerations, as my wife pointed at it while I was browsing through an '07 catalog, which mentioned the GTR as an 08 model...

·
Registered
68 Posts
any idea how much the GTR is gunna cost?? I presume it's gunna cost more than the 14~ if it costs less, then I may have to add it into my considerations, as my wife pointed at it while I was browsing through an '07 catalog, which mentioned the GTR as an 08 model...
My bet is it will cost as much as the FJR1300. Which translates to an arm and a leg in The Netherlands (19.000 euro = 25.000 USD)...

·
Registered
57 Posts
My bet is it will cost as much as the FJR1300. Which translates to an arm and a leg in The Netherlands (19.000 euro = 25.000 USD)...

well that's good... here, an 06 FJR with ABS is cheaper than an 06 zx14 without ABS :tard looks like I may have to consider the GTR then~

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tundra Tom,

I agree with you, the Diablo Black option looks better but, judging from the bikes on display at motorbike shows, is extremely delicate :rant

This bike was never ridden and it already looks scratched :banghead
Hello Stef,

Looks like Tank Saver clear tape for the side panels as well. The slightest flaws are shown, always a detriment to black regardless of paint quality.
Still, I'm ordering the color that makes my throttle twist.:smile

1 - 20 of 20 Posts