Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have this thing with losing keys.... well i lost the only key to my bike. cant find it anywhere...the only estimate i was able to get was for 150 dollars for someone to come out and make a key with a spare. is this reasonable?... i have no clue so please help i greatly appreciate it... would it be any cheaper for me to take out the ignition on an 2001 zx6 j and take it to a locksmith and how hard would it be to do that? thanks:banghead

·
11,782 Posts
There is a very slight chance that if you took your title and some ID to a dealership, they may be able to help you. Nowadays, Kawi gives you this little metal tag with a code on it that tells them the "map" of your key. I've also heard that they can do that through the VIN but I have no idea how long they keep those records, so you may be out of luck there.

As for the $150...in all reality, that doesn't sound bad. The blanks for our keys are kinda pricey themselves and then you're talking about a guy coming out and making the key by feeling around inside your ignition...that shit takes some expertise. It may save you a couple of bucks if you take the ignition to the locksmith but then you're gonna have to drill out the security bolts and replace them to put it back together. Good luck.

·
Registered
852 Posts
i have this thing with losing keys.... well i lost the only key to my bike. cant find it anywhere...the only estimate i was able to get was for 150 dollars for someone to come out and make a key with a spare. is this reasonable?... i have no clue so please help i greatly appreciate it... would it be any cheaper for me to take out the ignition on an 2001 zx6 j and take it to a locksmith and how hard would it be to do that? thanks:banghead
if you do your second option just remember you will have to change the gas cap and trunk key locks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. talked the locksmith down to 100 even. seems like he's the only guy in the east valley that can do these for some reason. i tried several places... all reffered me to him. so he's comin out tommorrow. damn i sure wont be losin my keys again. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The blanks are not too bad if you go through the right people. I was looking online and i couldn't get a blank for under 20 dollars but i just took my key to a keymaker and made a copy for 7 dollars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PLEASE do yourself a favor and get a spare key. my bikes my only transport... been stranded at my girl friends moms house for a few days... :tard .. guess karma exists .. was riding the old mountain bike around lookin for places i might have dropped the keys... found $100 DOLLAR BILL:crazyloco in a church parking lot where i had been riding ... besides the hassel i guess i'll break even... crazy.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Now thats some crazy luck... I keep one on a set the other in my ridding jacket... For that ah shit moment when you lock the trunk with your keys layin in there...

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I ordered a blank through my dealer for 15 and got it cut for 2.50. When I bought my bike the previous owner only had 1 key and so I went and got an extra that I use primarily. That way if I lose my keys I still have the original that came with the bike

·
Registered
1 Posts
The other ignition can also be used in the place of the original one. You will need to take your bike to an expert auto locksmith so that he can guide you through the right path. Although, a locksmith will be able to fix another ignition in place of the old one.

·
#1 BMW Traitor
6,376 Posts
Old thread is old.....

I'm hoping that sometime in the last 6 years the OP figured it out >:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for the help. talked the locksmith down to 100 even. seems like he's the only guy in the east valley that can do these for some reason. i tried several places... all reffered me to him. so he's comin out tommorrow. damn i sure wont be losin my keys again. thanks for the help.
Locksmith can surely resolve the issue very well, as they have knowledge of making new keys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts