Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or are them dam traffic lights not set up for bikes. It seems like everytime me and my buddy go riding, about 90% of the lights don't know we are there. We sit through the lights and it never changes for us. It seems that if we pull out enough and let the car behind us pull up far enough the light will finally change. Usually if there isn't a car to help us out we have to just run it. Is there some trick to let it know you are there? It just sucks :banghead

·
Registered
47 Posts
i have been told a lot of the lights are light sensitive so turn your bright lights on and it will help out. it seems to work for me on most lights. not all. other than that i dont know what to say. it does suck though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I can't remember what the real deal is but it has something to do with the lack of metal mass on a bike. Out here in the Denver area there are lights to let you on the HWY at the end of the on ramp. I have to run em cuz they won't change for a bike.

·
Registered
200 Posts
usually there is enough traffic here in san diego that i am not affected by this hassle. however, there is a traffic light at our apartment that gets us at the end of our rides every damned time b/c no cars turn left with us. but recently i have found that putting my kickstand down on the pavement seems to work. but i still pay attention to my mirrors to make sure a car isn't barreling down on me.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Most lights have a sensor in the pavement. I think its some kind of inductor that senses the mass of metal. 1. Blow the light. I do this all the time and I think cops understand that it wont change for bikes. 2. Kick stand down. Seems to help. 3. I've been told that if you kill the bike and then restart it, the starter motor will trip the sensor. I've never tried it cuz I don't like restarting the bike that much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hey guys,

The metal mass theroy is correct. Here in NC they are about to pass a law about the lights and the motorcyclist. The new law will be to sit at the light for 3 minutes(lol) if red and if it doesn't change you can run it....

·
Registered
60 Posts
wow 3min? thats about a galon of sweat , we have one light here what works on sound so thats no problem ,just honk your hoorn or open the throtthle a sec and 8 sec. the lights turns green.

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is essentially a metal detector buried in the pavement in the circle or rectangle lines you see at the limit line. It generates a radio frequency field that is altered by the presence of ferrous iron. Unlike a car with an iron or steel frame, engine block, wheels, bumpers, etc. many bikes today not only have aluminum wheels but aluminum frames and engine blocks.

The Kick stand works because it is made of steel for strength and putting it down places it closer to the wire in the pavement. The signal degrades by the square of the distance i.e. double the distance from the pavement and the signal strength is only 1/4 as strong.

For optimal detection park over the outline of the rectangle, not in the middle of it unless it includes a third line up the center, with your steel exhaust over a corner or at the T on a 3 line loop.

If your going to put your kickstand down do it on the corner also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
We've got the pressure pads under the roads at the lights/intersection & yeah we seem to have the same problem around here, they dont seem to work sometimes when the bikes ride over them!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do a search for "motorcycle traffic light trigger". Its a special kind of magnet that will trick the lights into thinking you are a car. I just got one off of ebay. A friend of mine has one and it works every time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts