Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
i think he should cut out the inside of the frame to save weight.

:whore

Don't forget some grommets so the frame don't chafe the hose. How you gonna hide it at the radiator? Plus cutting the frame will lighten the bike! You should do holes all the way down both sides.

hope you're a badass TIG welding motherfucker.

i would just put a 90° on it at the radiator and run it up past the core and over the valve cover.. use metal pipe. it's pretty. any frame mods made will not only void any possible warranty that may exist, but will technically total the bike instantly if the insurance finds out.

again tho. if you go cutting into the frame you must replace it somehow with more metal. the biggest problem shevin had was that he cut square holes in the frame and never drilled relief holes at the corners or rounded them out. any time you look at a high-stress part that's been milled or worked in any way, theres a radius left at the 90. cranks are a good example of this. the fillet left at the journal edge is designed to move the moment of stress across at an angle to the 90 and keep the area from shearing AT the 90. which is where it WILL break at. i am certain if it's not 100% broken thru the whole way, theres small cracks at the corners of the holes expanding radially at a 45 on ol shervin's famous frameus.

if a pipe was to be welded in, it'd need to be a perimeter weld the entire way around it . it'd actually be really strong since you're taking what was a flat plane and adding a second dimension to it, as well as adding more filler rod.. which should be something like 5356 rod. don't weld with helium tho. use argon.
helium will burn too hot and melt the frame edges.

oh, and don't get all fuckin butthurt when ppl tell you shit like " don't cut the frame"
it's your fellow biker brothers being concerned for your safety. if we didn't give a motherfuck then we'd say "YA MAN!! cut it. you'll be perfectly fine without any of that metal in there. kawi engineers designed that frame to withstand shit like that.. you're just gonna make the engine a stressed member, just like a ducati. no worries"

if you know what you're doing and you're not a hack or noob, then you somehow gotta inform the masses that you're not a retard and are capable of pulling the shit off in the first place. i promise that if *I* posted a cut frame on here, no one would question my ability to weld that bitch back into perfection.. because that is what i do. i build bikes. i build engines. i am an experienced machinist, welder and fabricator. i owned a race shop for 5 years and my customers have alot of podium finishes to prove my knowledge. you gotta let these guys know you got what it takes too. if you've built bikes before, then post pics of m up. if you're a baller ass welder, post your question and a pic of your frame like you did, then a pic of some gangsta ass TIG welding and state "i am an experienced welder and am not looking to simply cut the frame, but replace part of it with something that will flow coolant like the old VF750 honda was set up like."

you get more bees with honey.. you get more respect with an open mind and info about yourself and skills so as to not lead ppl to believe you're a hack.

if you're lost on the whole shervin thing, just search the intrewebs a bit about it.. you'll see why ppl bring that fucking retard up.

EDIT

since i never read shit thru because i am lazy.. wtf didn't you state in the first place you bought a salvage title frame? that woulda stopped alot of the flaming right off the bat. i saw where you stated welding pipe in place but never specified what schedule.. which certainly shouldn't be less than 40. 80 would be better.

but ya. carry on dude.

worst case.. send it to me with some blueprints or detailed plans and a sketch. i have marine grade sch 80 tubing no more than 6' away from me right now dying to be welded into some fuckin bitchin project and put to use.

heres some examples of MY aluminum welding skills

89 yamaha warrior case repair

my turbo motor for my 7R. kleen air passages welded shut.

89 ninja 750 pegmount

98 9R swingarm extensions

05 636 stator cover

so, with that.. you know i can weld shit and it works. if you can do the same, then put in work son. build some shit to wow the masses.

I also do not suggested to cut that frame
I do not disagree, but dragging out a year-old thread is a waste of time and bandwidth. The dude already slunk off butthurt, and will probably never come back to read your sound advice. He was obviously looking for someone to cheerlead his hack-job and didn't find them here.

Since I have joined the Forum I have seen several threads where somebody asks for advise on a Mod, conversion, what have you and the feedback from the board guys ends up like in this case the right advise to NOT CUT THE FRAME......These Children that dont understand that messing with a Frame's integrity is asking for trouble. Just my soap box rant but now I know why I waited until I was older to get my ZX9r.....Youth wasted on the Young :)

why not lighten the bike further by selling the engine internals.....:scared why build a bike thats not ridden??? i mean why do people do that....fecking waste..

oh.. dont cut your frame by the way.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.