Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

cuts out when hot

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  92Ninjas 
#1 ·
Some help if anyone can on my j2 yesterday had a 250 round trip with a few stop offs not to far from home when the bike cuts out as if run out of fuel
Now if I put the choke on it will start as soon as I take it off it cuts out again
Once left to cool down after a few hours it runs fine again ?
Can anyone help on this will be great

#9 ·
I have had the same thing happen to me a couple times before... My J1 cuts out when I leave a stop or traffic light when the temperature gauge is up halfway (so a lot of city riding or stop-and-go traffic). It will cut out for a quick second when I take off. One time I wanted to put my stock muffler back in because I was going for an evening ride and didn't want to annoy anyone in residential while coming and going at 10pm. Well the problem was worse with the stock muffler (of course my jetting was "adjusted" when I put in my aftermarket can last year).

So that led me to believe that part of the jetting is to blame. I never bothered to investigate further because I put my aftermarket muffler back in the next morning, but my guess is that the culprit is either pilot screw or float level (my money would be on the latter being too lean). My fuel pump contacts are brand new and the relay checked out ok. Just giving you something to think about.

It doesn't happen very much because I'm rarely stuck in traffic.

#12 ·
#14 ·
sounds like your having the same problem im having, vapor locking in traffic and when i stop and the motor heats up my fuel system making me wait a good half hour. the problem now days is with the fuel, there is too much ethanol in fuel causing it to be too volatile. i just started an experiment with the fuel treatment "star tron enzyme fuel treatment" to make it less volatile and will hopefully cure our vapor locking issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.