Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum. current ride is an 04 Yamaha road star. nice cruiser. very nice. looking to change. Saw an ad for a 98 ZX1100, 25K miles. $2799. Haven't done much research on price and such, but I would like to know the good, the bad and the ugly on these bikes. 4 carbs? Chain? I would prefer EFI and shaft, but at this point I am simply looking.
Can I get hard bags? I looked on ebay and saw nothing.
How about the passenger seating? more of a sport bike feel?
and is the ZX1100 a sport tourer? or more a sport bike?
relative question, but does the bike go through tires? brakes?
do the carbs need to by synced? or are they damn near maintenance free?
Just looking for some info
My wife rides with me...sometimes. If I have to replace the seat to make it more comfy for her that's fine.
thanks

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
You tell me if your wife would be comfortable on this?

Hard luggage is about impossible to find.

#3 rod failures are issues with this bike. Look for gold flakes in the oil and keep the site glass topped off.

They will do Touring, they will do sport, and hold its own in all but the wildest twisties...

I go thru a set of tires every summer...but mine are pretty sticky. The bikes are almost maintenace free, but you have to prep them up first.... and buy quality stuff.

·
Registered
556 Posts
My wife rides with me all the time on a Corbin seat,she loves it.We have done many miles in the saddle,on the zx11 as well as a friends cruiser.She actually hates cruisers and so do I.The seating position of a cruiser bothers my back.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
You can buy new hard bags, but the mounting kits are harder to find. My wife loves the ZX, and as Blaine says sport and sport touring are great. This bike was before sport (race replica) seating positions got so extreme. I can't see that this bike is better or worse on tires than others I've owned, it is all in riding style there.

Blaine's Corbin seat with backrest is great, but my wife uses the back rest on the trunk, so I haven't popped for a Corbin yet.

And yes, I crossed a double yellow, with no one in sight for miles, so one of my friends could snap some photos.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Spent all of last week tooling around town on my new to me 1990 ZedX11. Put on about 950 km around town. We had a lot of afternoon/evening rain showers and T-storms, so humidity was super high, and the only time it's really quiet enough with regards to traffic is at night, and of course, the air was damp. I noticed when it was dry, my fuel economy was dramatically better, but getting a cool, dry night in the this town is rare in the summer. First couple tanks were the pits on mileage (fresh off an overhaul at the shop) but I seem to be averaging about 225 km/tank in the city. Should do better on the highway if I keep it in 5th or 6th (6th gear barely turns 4500 rpm @ 120 km/h) Found a few spots to really open it up, and needless to say, I got scared around 240 and backed right off. Groat Road runs were done at about 120, in second or third gear. This thing pulls like a motherf***er at high revs. I still prefer the flat, useable powerband that my V65 Magna has, but this monster I4 is really fun above 6000. Even managed a few first gear power wheelies, because I think I'm too heavy for any other gear, and I'm going to wait to try a clutch-up. Yes, I know about the oiling issue, so my power wheelies are short.

I find the bike to be very comfortable to ride in the city and on the freeway. Super stable, so taking both hands off the bars to stretch is fine at any speed. I have really short legs, and find that the peg height is perfect, as is the straddle height. Much easier to throw a leg over than my Magna, and most of the newer sport bikes my friends ride. The length from tank to bars is also nearly perfect for me, because I'm really long in the torso and have ape like arms (6'6" wing span, I'm only 6'2", with a 30" inseam!) The stock suspension is mushy as all hell, even with the preload maxed. Upgrading to Racetech suspension over the winter, with stiffer springs.

I'm going to have to rethink my original upgraded spring rate though. Might need something even stiffer because I'll be doing more 2-up riding than I expected. Ended up meeting a girl last Friday, and she LOVES the Zed, and feels VERY comfortable on it, so that's another point in the win column that adds to her overall hotness. She's more comfortable on the Zed than the V65. I'm going to attribute that to the fact that she's just as tall as me (6'2") but her legs are a good 6" longer than mine. The Magna has a Corbin seat, and the passenger end is super short. Couple that with really high pegs, and the back seat is very cramped. Much less so on the Zed.

I love this bike. I also love my Magna. The only way I'll part with the Magna is for an Interceptor 1000. The only way I'll part with the Zed is for a newer D model, or a ZX14. Mind you, if someone offers up a showroom shape Super Blackbird, I'd have to do some serious soul searching. I'm already the black sheep of the family because I ride a sport bike. Riding the Kawi almost got me shunned in a family of Honda riders. :p

If I were you, twitch, I'd pull the trigger on a ZX11. No hesitation, no regrets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts