Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
God dammit i crashed my kawi klr650 pretty bad on the way to work the other morning. It was raining and i went into an underground parking garage and i was going to fast and i could not see past the parking lot height warning signs. once i got low enough on the entrance ramp to where i could see under the sign it was to late. There was a pedestrian fence barrier in the middle of the road and when i tried to swerve around it i was under heavy braking and the rear broke loose just enough that i clipped the fence and it turned the handle bars to the right. I then ran up over a curb and smack into a wall at full speed. I smashed my ankle and both my knees. When the bike hit the wall it broke the front axle and mount right off the fork tube. Smashed the front cowling, The r.f. brush guard, bent handle bar, Front wheel\hub is cracked 2 turn signals r.r. plastic cover, bent foot peg, broken mirror. Top case destroyed and front fender smashed.

Damn this is my favorite month for riding..........But my ankle is jacked up. I was wearing full gear but my ankle was crushed between the bike and the curb.

Mashed the knees a little also

·
Registered
729 Posts
Have you had that x-rayed yet to make sure nothing is dislocated or chipped / floating out of place? Are you a sneaker dude, or did you have boots on?

I'm going to let the other forum posters grill you on your statement about: "There was a pedestrian fence barrier in the middle of the road . . ."

·
Premium Member
3,324 Posts
Have you had that x-rayed yet to make sure nothing is dislocated or chipped / floating out of place? "
+1

Wholly phuck dude how fast were you going in an "underground parking garage" to phuck yourself like that.

Were ya wearing any gear?

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
That sucks! You had to have some good velocity to break the axle mount off of the fork tube. I guess i have to ask how fast you were going . Any way heal up quick and don't do that again :smile

·
Registered
241 Posts
Damn, can you put any weight on that? I would go for an x-ray. I had less bruising than that when I fractured my heel last year.

Good luck, man.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Ouch man. I was wondering how fast too to do that kind of damage.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Yes i had it xrayed 40 minutes after it happened. Nothing is broken just smashed pretty good. I was going 28 mph when i clipped the fence. I was wearing wearing full gear. Full pants, High top steel toe work boots riding jacket, Full rain suit over that and a helmet and gauntlet gloves. When i clipped the fence it hooked the handle bars and made me turn right quickly and the bike hit and wheelied up over the curb and smashed almost head on into the wall. My ankle was pinned between the bikes big ass 1/4
'' aluminum skid plate and the curb and was kind of smashed. When the bike hit the wall it hit the right front fork axle bolt first then the rest of the bike followed. When i crashed there was cops all over because there was a breast cancer awareness walk\marathon going on. They didn't help me either.....They threatened to tow my bike if i didn't get back quickly enough. So i had to limp 6 blocks up to a hardware store and get some tie down straps. Then i walked back 6 blocks to the bike and used the tie downs to re-attach the front axle to the forks. Then i rode that bitch like 2 miles back to my house and got in the truck and went to the hospital and had it all checked out. The pedestrian fence was not supposed to be there in the way of the the through traffic because the through traffic has to go down into the parking garage and back up the other ramp to make the right hand turn at the light. Some dumb fuck parking attendant left the fence blocking the through traffic lane. You can't see the fence when you enter the garage until you get down the ramp 3\4 of the way. I actually just came from my attorneys office and we filed a lawsuit against the parking garage for obstructing the flow of traffic and they are blaming the event organizers saying the fence doesn't even belong to the parking garage and the set up people must have left it there by accident. So either way some one is going to be help responsible for the fence being in the roadway.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Exactly . . . sue their negligent asses, and add the rest of the wrongdoers (joint tortfeasors) to the lawsuit as further facts develop -- that is why God invented DOE defendants! The only problem is that your medical bills aren't very high, so not much money will come of it . . . but enough to buy a new bike and some beer money is better than nothing.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not licensed to practice law in the state of Utah, or wherever the incident occurred. This thread is not a confidential communication. This thread shall not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship for any purpose whatsoever. The information contained hereinabove is solely based upon general principles of law, that may vary from state to state, as does the application of law to fact.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RESULTS!!
Well i got great news from my attorney today. The parties responsible for the errant fence have been identified and served! Also he called to let me know that "they" wanted to settle out of court! They agreed to a dollar amount of $7000.00 :mfclap

It was more than i was hoping for by about $2000.00. But It would have been a lot less but i make $250.00 a day at work and i was out 12 days of work and hospital bills were less than $1000.00 and i got all the parts off ebay to fix the bike for less than $500.00. I have a buyer for the bike for another $2700.00

So over all this was a good ending for me. And now i need to find another dual sport for 2-up riding and bad weather riding.:rolleyes

·
Registered
559 Posts
Damn dude that's great news. Glad to hear everything got settled. How's your ankle doing?

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
Dam dude. Well sounds like it turned out pretty good.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ankle is still sore as hell! The orthopedic surgeon checked it today as a matter of fact and my knee is doing fantastic! The ankle is very sore and the x-ray shows i cracked the main ankle bone. Not enough to need surgery and no ligaments torn so it's damn good news!!! I got sick of the crutches and found a used knee scooter to use. The doctor looked at some pictures of my knee before the accident and said it's a miracle and he had never seen a knee heal so fast! Then i showed him a picture of the cankle i had when it happened! And he said holy cow you have the ankle of a 450lb woman! I almost fell of the exam table laughing.

Bad news is i can't walk for 1 month!

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the evil-doers are going to pay-up. It is really tough not being able to do the things you love due to health-related reasons. If you follow your doctor's advice, the recovery time will be reduced and you can be back on the bike again when you are well enough. Keep your spirits up and have patience.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
I actually just came from my attorneys office and we filed a lawsuit against the parking garage for obstructing the flow of traffic and they are blaming the event organizers saying the fence doesn't even belong to the parking garage and the set up people must have left it there by accident. So either way some one is going to be help responsible for the fence being in the roadway.
Seriously? 28mph in a PARKING GARAGE and you are blaming somebody else for you own stupidity???

Sorry, but I am NOT on your side with this one..... another lawsuit that SHOULD NOT BE... like that wench on the Olympic Peninsula who tried to sue the Park, (read TAXPAYERS), cuz her Husband was killed by a Wild Mountain Goat when he tried to shoo it away.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the evil-doers are going to pay-up. It is really tough not being able to do the things you love due to health-related reasons. If you follow your doctor's advice, the recovery time will be reduced and you can be back on the bike again when you are well enough. Keep your spirits up and have patience.
It does suck being on the Injury Reserve list lol. When I wreck my old bike, it gave me a nasty concussion. I couldn't play football for over a month and even watching TV for more than an hour or so was too much and it would give me headaches. I ended spending the better half of the month sleeping because there was nothing else i was able to do.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It does suck being on the Injury Reserve list lol. When I wreck my old bike, it gave me a nasty concussion. I couldn't play football for over a month and even watching TV for more than an hour or so was too much and it would give me headaches. I ended spending the better half of the month sleeping because there was nothing else i was able to do.

Im just glad i have other bikes to ride and im not bike-less. So when i can walk in a month i will be able to ride. Hell i could ride now but im worried i wont be able to get the bike out of the race trailer. It has to be unloaded down a ramp and i could totally see it falling on me and wrecking it.................So for now im just laying around waiting for more parts to arrive so i can put it back together!

Oh and the parking garage has a posted speed limit of 25mph where i was at! It was at the end of the garage where the through traffic comes down and back out of the garage. It is more like a street right in that spot than a parking garage.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Im just glad i have other bikes to ride and im not bike-less. So when i can walk in a month i will be able to ride. Hell i could ride now but im worried i wont be able to get the bike out of the race trailer. It has to be unloaded down a ramp and i could totally see it falling on me and wrecking it.................So for now im just laying around waiting for more parts to arrive so i can put it back together!

Oh and the parking garage has a posted speed limit of 25mph where i was at! It was at the end of the garage where the through traffic comes down and back out of the garage. It is more like a street right in that spot than a parking garage.
Yeah i wouldn't push it just yet. Wait til your foot heals or you could end up doing more damage to it. Being unable to ride for that month was miserable lol. All I wanted to do was get back on it, but my balance was all fucked up though so that was out of the question lol.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update: season is not over yet!!!!!!! Got a new Vstrom DL1000 and im walking in a boot cast now.:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl Walking is so underrated!!!:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao I went out riding the new bike on Thursday.
Here is the new bad weather bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts