Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Pirelli Diablo Corsa III, and put about 150 miles on them. Even though the centers were worn, and I was feeling good on them, the sides were not as forgiving.

Valentine's Day, 8:30PM, 2007. I was on the 55N to Chapman West offramp in The OC, taking the curve at about 35/ 40MPH. I had just finished a midterm and was feeling pretty good about it. Now mind you, I've taken this curve at 50MPH before, but I had my backpack on, so I didn't want to push it too far.

I threw out my knee, shifted the hips, looked through the line, and there I went, right through the curve like Hayden at Laguna Seca. That is, of course, until I fell over.

I got right to the top of the curve and I bottomed out. I did a little bseball slide and popped up running backwards until my Sidi Vertebras tripped me up and I fell. I was fine. My bike slid, hit the curb dividing the on/ off ramps, flipped, landed on its top (impact marks the seat, tank, and windscreen show this), and then landed on it's left.

I got up, did a little self-inspection: no blood, broken bones, poo. Check!

Some nice lady pulled over and offered help. She called the cops for me.

I called my grandpa who lived in the neighborhood, and he came with a truck to load it up. When all was over, the damage was assessed at $13.5k. A total loss. Lucky for me however, the place I bought mine had one left. I bought it as soon as I got the insurance money.

I don't have any pictures of the bike (my gpa's camera is not of the digital ilk), but I do offer a satellite photo with MS Paint lines drawn in.

Lessons:
1) ZX10s are way too fun.
2) Scrub your new tires before having too much fun
3) I'm not Messers Hayden or Rossi
4) Wear full gear (My gear was torn up. I was not)
5) ZX10s are way too fun.

My goal for this one is to put 100k miles on it.

If you look right where I crashed, theres still a dash panel lying there from it.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ouch.... glad to hear that you are ok. That is a lesson learned for all. Anybody have a good idea of how many miles you should run on new tires before you get crazy?????

·
Registered
785 Posts
MAN, I'm glad you're ok.
I just put on some new Qualifiers and they are a bit "slick" a first.
I think it's the "mold release" stuff that is on them from the factory.:headscratch
I'm sorry to hear about your ride, but glad you walked away.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I always take my new tires to the empty K-mart parking lot and scuff them in at about 20-30 miles an hour. You don't need to be doing 90 to get rid of your chicken strips ;)

·
Registered
532 Posts
What I find works best for me is to take the first 50km easy, then run it a bit fast in a straight line (highway) for about 10km for the centrifugal forces to get the last bit to the surface, then get a nice easy 'S'-bend and starting of slowly, running through it a couple of times increasing the pace slowly to increase the wear area slowly as well. This way you will always have a fair area already "scrubbed" as you slowly increase the lean angle. You cannot ride it 100miles in a straight line and think the sides will be clean.

A comment on your Google picture. If that was the line you took, you probably ran onto some debris (loose gravel and dirt) on the outside line, or a bit of diesel.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Glad to hear ure ok. We all have to be carefull. Good luck on the new bike. Pics?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the bike, wow, at least you had insurance. I can't afford insurance in my city. Did you check the road for any oil spots...I crashed a Trans Am once because of oil on the road...lol I was trying to catch up to a Ninja to check out his mods...lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think it was the fact that the tire was too new; your Tire was probably to cold and/or your tire pressure was too high. Check your Tire pressure from the dealer they balloon thoes tires to seat the bead. Run no more than 35 to 37 PSI on the street.
I take brand new Pilot Powers, zero miles, and run them to the edge... just give them a bit of time(10 miles down the road or so) to warm up before you go elbows down. Nice Aerial Pic and narly corner... I love thoes exit corners they are tight as hell! Ride hard brotha.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, there seemed to be quite a bit a contributing factors:
- New slick tires
- My tire pressure was high (40psi)
- They should've been warm since this was at the end of a 15 mile journey
- I didn't find any obvious oil marks on the road, but it was night
- That line I drew was my actual line. I think I may have hit the paint dividing the lanes, and since it was night, it could have had dew on them, and been slick
- I'm just a n00b

In any case, I have my new ZX10. I immediately took a wire brush to the sides of the tires to scrub off the top layer, but I heard after that a large part of the slick is due to the oil in the tire that can only be brought out by heat and centriprital (sp?) force.

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
I take brand new Pilot Powers, zero miles, and run them to the edge... just give them a bit of time(10 miles down the road or so)
Same here ....... half hour in the saddle after new tyres and they are great:mfclap

·
Registered
18 Posts
catch 22

I've often wondered about this,The highly experienced teens at cycle gear always tell me do not lean until you put at least 100 miles on those new tires.. Said in a serios tone as i walk out the door.O.K. the coating gets rubbed off from the tire to asphalt contact. So how do you suppose this can occur without that contact.IT CAN'T!!!! I say tire check carefully until slickum is gone.:smile (KAWBOY)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Dealers mount new tires on bikes trackside all the time. Its not unusual to see them being raced after just a couple of warm up (scuffing) laps. My guess is that your crash was not the tire's fault but more than likely one or more of the other conditions mentioned above. Tire inflation pressures, sides not scuffed, tire temps, surface moisture, painted lines, etc. BTW... glad you didn't get hurt and lived to ride another day. :)

·
Registered
515 Posts
for my track tires, or even when I rode on the street, I scuff the edges lightly with 180grit sandpaper, just to remove the shiny smooth surface, on the street I never ran more than 32psi... and now with the new pilot race tires, I run 29 front and 21 in back... I guess they really changed the structure for the rears, and you don't need much pressure.... This is straight from the michelin guy I get my tires from. It just doesn't sound right, but it is...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts