Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my third accident in 3 months. On Valentine's day I crashed my original ZX10R due to slick, over inflated tires + a bit of n00bishness. In March I was rear ended in my truck. Last night, I was getting on the 405 freeway at Jamboree and hit gravel on a dark onramp.

I was going about 25mph because it was crowded. There's still a bit of traffic at 8:30PM. In any case, this huge puddle of gravel was waiting for me in the outside lane, and there was nothing I could do but cry, and scream "GRAVEL?!?!?!?!?!" at the top of my lungs. :rant

I wear full gear, which actually came out ok. I'm still debating whether or not I'll change my pants, and my jacket is fairly unscathed. My helmet has a large rash on the right side and I'll replace that soon.

My bike's damage (sorry for no picture, I gotta get a digi camera) is not too bad. My LP sliders saved the day. Just some cosmetic damage on the right side. It fires up fine, but I'm going to get the mech to check it out before I ride it again.

In any case, here's the sat view. The red X is where the big puddle of gravel was, and the green circle is where my bike stopped. I stopped slightly before where the pavement meets the dirt.

What's funny is that the same CHP that came last time came this time. He asked me what happened and when I showed him the puddle of gravel his words were, "Holy crap that's a lot of gravel." It did take up the entire lane. The cop walked on the edge of the onramp and he found tracks leading off and then back on the onramp indicating that someone took the corner a little too hot, and when they got back on the onramp they brought gravel from the side of the road with them. A nice present for me! :mfclap

Be safe out there. My lesson learned is just a reinforcement that proper gear saves you from a lot of pain.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Crap dude! I feel for ya. I know here in the Northern states there are tons of crud on the roads this time of year but I ride anyways. I too almost went down for a 3rd time in as many days due to loose dirt/salt/glass,etc. I keep leaving little tornados of smoke behind me when pulling out of turns. I guess I should tone er' down a bit but I suffer from exreme riders anxiety among a few "other mental illness's" he he. Hey folks take them corners wide and slow for a while.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Glad you're OK...... I never leave home without my gear!!! A great lesson for all!!!!!!!
I believe us NON-squid types covered this the other day on my post. That's why we wear Shred Gear! Sure beats burning skin! We never plan on takin a dive but....one never knows~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts