Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anybody had a problem with the frame on their ZX-6R cracking? I have a 1995 that I am re-building and found a nice sized crack running from the frontpart of the top engine mount (located on the underside of the frame) that runs approx. 1/2 way around the box frame. I have seen a few other 6R's that have this crack but am not sure if this is a fluke, or normal for these bikes.

Just curious.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah cracked frame = trash. better off buying a used one. what if your going fast as hell and your hitting some bumps and decides to take a dump on you? also if you do wreck it's going to make matters worse.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Understood that a cracked frame is not ideal and not engineered into a bike, but as is the case on some bikes, normal "defects" do occur.

I know that the frame can be repaired and done so successfully as long as it is done by a good frame shop. It is true that you can not simply weld a cracked frame and expect it to be as good as new, but if done properly, a frame repair is stronger than the original metal being repaired.

I guesss the only thing I was asking was if this was a "normal occurrance" on this model of bike, meaning it happens more often than 1 in a million. This will make the difference between fixing and replacing the frame. If it is going to happen again, I will just fix it. If it is a total fluke, then I will condsider dropping the $700+ for a new frame.

Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts