Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 5' 8" 170 Lbs.

The stock seat is a good seat and I know this question has been posted before. I just completed a quick 1500 mile ride. For over 1200 miles the stock seat was comfortable, then I started getting sore.

I know this question has been asked before. But, is the stock seat just as good as the Sargent and Corbin and are the Sargent and Corbin the same, in regards to ride comfort, keeping me in the pocket etc.? On my ZX-11 the OEM seat was poor and both Corbin seats on that bike were a huge improvement.

But the ZX14 is an entirely different m//c, then the 11.

In regards to fast, long distance comfort, is there really a big difference between the stock seat and the Corbin or the Sargent.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I rode my freinds cbr with a corbin seat and i didnt really like it. it cupped my ass to much.. to save myself some dought i just cut out some foam of my seat, and put in some gell stuff i got from the shop in town. I love it and my ass never hurts now. havent done a quick 1500 ride on it yet lol. 4-5 hrs of riding though didnt hurt at all.

·
Premium Member
13,041 Posts
Corbins are hard from the factory. The P.O. of mine added a layer of memory foam and I added a gel pad to the pilot area. Made it much more bearable to sit in for longer hours. Sargent custom tailors your seat for you on (I believe) a stock pan. If I were choosing between them, I'd go with Sargent. A buddy of mine has a Sargent on his ZX-14 and he loves it. He had a Corbin on his ZZR 12, so he knows the difference first hand.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
never ran a corbin, but been running a sargent for a while now. no complaints from me, however i have been considering getting rid of the sargent only to make a custom seat with gel for a nice design on my 14, again no probs. wit the seat at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ran a Corbin on my GPZ 1100 for 11 years putting on many long trips 1000+ daily. They start out stiff but after some miles they adjust to you. They will also custom cut your seat cushion to fit your needs and from their molded pan. I put one on my 14 and have not gone far yet as the weather will not cooperate. I'm 6'6" and 312lbs. Either way the stock seat has to go, I agree.

·
Registered
306 Posts
You should also look into doing a Concours seat, if you dont mind not being able to use the rear cowl.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Added about 1" of foam to my stock seat to make it a little better.

It helped.

However, nothing like a Sargent.

I switched with a Bro of mine for about 50 miles.

Talk about SWEEEEET!

You can also get the Sargent in a "solo" model that allows you to retain your rear cowl.

Otherwise you can't use it on a typical Sargent.

The "solo" models go for about $350.

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
481 Posts
+1 on the Sargent solo, it's the bees knees

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't know about either of those seats but I had my seat redone at a local uphosterly shop and they shaved my seat down and installed a Saddleman gel pad for under $200. I haven't been on any long rides yet with it but my butt used to start getting numb after a couple hours and now i've gone twice that and still feel perfectly fine.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ran a Corbin on my GPZ 1100 for 11 years putting on many long trips 1000+ daily. They start out stiff but after some miles they adjust to you. They will also custom cut your seat cushion to fit your needs and from their molded pan. I put one on my 14 and have not gone far yet as the weather will not cooperate. I'm 6'6" and 312lbs. Either way the stock seat has to go, I agree.

I also made many 1000 mile trips on my ZX-11 and my Corbins ( I had the gunfighter/lady and gunfighter seats) and I never had a sore butt. In a couple of weeks I want to leave for a quick trip to Austin, Texas (3K+ miles round trip), I don't know if it was just me on my recent 1500 mile ride or the seat wasn't up to that distance.

Question: Is your Corbin seat extended back for a passenger and can the Corbin also fit under the plastic tail cover if there is no passenger?

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
The Corbin seat for the ZX is a dual saddle, and it does accommodate the OEM tail cowl.

The Sargent can be purchased as a rider's seat only and the rear is covered with the OEM cowl.

I have a Corbin on my FJR and I like it a lot. It is firm but the shape fits me very well and thus it is very comfortable. I have done many 300+ mile days and I once did 500 miles in a day.

I recently got a Sargent for my ZX but I only have about 100 miles on it. I can say it is better than the OEM. I got the Sargent because I also got their storage pod - I really wanted some storage space and I wanted to maintain the looks of the bike.

My observation is that after market seats are wider than the OEM, specially at the rear of the seat. Thus increasing surface area for butt support. And they know how to do shape so that is well done also. Both the Sargent and Corbin are stiffer than the OEM, and believe it or not, that works better.

BTW, I am 5' 11" and 175 lbs.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I had a Corbin on mine and did not like it at all. Too hard and it forced me back a few more inches from the bars and put me back in the front leaning rest position. I have Helibars BTW.

I have a new CC seat, but its kind of squishy and I find my ass moving forwards and backwards a bit under accell/decell. Its currently on the shelf with all my other experimentations.

I also found out that your pants my be part of the problem. One set of my riding pants have foam armor in the seat area where my ass contacts the seat. This puts a pressure point on my R-L buttocks and after 3-4 hours it gets to be painful.

My newest A-stars pants do not have armor where my ass touches the stock seat and I am OK for 500 miles easily.

Maybe take a look at the foam padding on your riding pants where it could possibly be pressed on the seat?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know this is apples to oranges.I had a ZRX that I bought a Corbin and it sat low and was hard as a rock.Sold it quick.But I bought a used bike that allready had a Corbin and it's the most comfortable seat I ever sat in.I still have the bike a GSX1100G with shaft drive.I haven't started it since I got this ZX-14.
Craig

·
Registered
35 Posts
Corbin

Corbin hands down. I also have a ZRX1200 with a Corbin. Yes they feel furm but thats what works. Borrowed a buddys Sargent and it also feels firm but for me the Corbin was much better for the long hall. After about 200 miles I got butt burn with the Sargents. My Corbin goes all day NO butt burn. As for customer service I will agree Corbin sucks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's a butt burn? Catches on fire?
Corbin

Corbin hands down. I also have a ZRX1200 with a Corbin. Yes they feel furm but thats what works. Borrowed a buddys Sargent and it also feels firm but for me the Corbin was much better for the long hall. After about 200 miles I got butt burn with the Sargents. My Corbin goes all day NO butt burn. As for customer service I will agree Corbin sucks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts