Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how can they say "hog" when you see the bikes in the picture????

Cops go hog wild
Confiscate 350 motorcycles, slap riders with 5,900 summonses

BY JOHN MARZULLI and ERNIE NASPRETTO
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Sunday, June 10th 2007, 4:00 AM

The NYPD has been aggressively cracking down on motorcycle riders who lack proper licensing - handing out thousands of summonses and confiscating more than 350 of the vehicles, the Daily News has learned.

"There have been 16 motorcycle fatalities this year; 12 were unlicensed operators," Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne said.

Cops initiated the crackdown in a bid to try to stop the mounting death toll, Browne said, pointing out that the 16 motorcycle accident deaths already this year represent a 100% increase over the same time last year.

In all of last year, 33 motorcycle operators were killed in accidents on city streets.

Highway patrol cops had issued more than 5,900 summonses to motorcycle operators for a variety of infractions as of June 3. The summonses were issued for safety violations, speeding, unlicensed operation, unregistered and uninsured motorcycles.

Cops also have confiscated more than 360 motorcycles, the vast majority within the past four weeks, records show.

The unlicensed motorcycle riders killed this year include an off-duty NYPD cop, Foster Burton, 23, who was killed April 23 when he struck a parked car on Zerega Ave. in the Bronx.

"I believe my son had a [motorcycle] permit and rode for about a year and a half. He never drank and was very responsible. I don't understand how this happened," said Burton's mother, Leslie Buie.

Cops are returning confiscated motorcycles only when a rider who has received a summons shows up at the local precinct stationhouse with a licensed rider or a tow truck.

Unregistered or uninsured motorcycles are not being returned to their owners until proof of valid registration and insurance is presented, police said.

Riders who fail to get to the stationhouses quickly enough will have to trek to the NYPD auto pound in Whitestone, Queens, to retrieve their bikes.

"Having a driver's license does not give someone the right to ride a motorcycle," said NYPD Sgt. Richard Angeletti of the Highway Patrol Accident Investigation Squad, adding "a motorcycle license is a totally different license requiring the passing of a written test and road test."

Source: New York Daily News

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well who's fault is this????? It's not hard to get a license and insurance for your bike, and for GOD'S sake everyone should be taking a MSF course!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You can't blame them, really. Sure it's a major hassle, but look at the statistics. They did their homework. They're doing their job. If all 360 of those riders have the proper training, licensing and insurance, it's a sure bet that there will be many fewer crashes among them. And that's the whole point, right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
i completed the msf course on saturday my permit expired cause in ct its only good for 2 months as of the 28 the dmv is closed on mondays so basically fuck ct im drivin today cause its nice out without a permit or lic. but dont worry tomorrow i get my lic.

·
Registered
379 Posts
At least over there they stop you guys and fine you for valid stuff. Here they stop you for the biggest load of bull that you can imagine. :banghead

Dirt on a tail light, break pads that dont look new (you cant even see the bloody pads) and the best, your indicators should be orange and not white (the globes flash orange)

The best is that they actually confiscate the bikes here for all that stupid stuff and if you get the bike back, so many things have been stolen off of it and you never get it back seeing that the cops take them:thefinger

·
Registered
37 Posts
As you can see.

This is what we're going through at this moment.
Me , i was driving with out license. Not anymore. I'm taking MSF next month, so i'll wait :( ...

But now is even worst. They are having checkpoint everywhere , just stoping riders, even scooters...

It's a major crackdown, and they even have a fraternal competition on who impound more bikes. Now you can see what's going on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is what we're going through at this moment.
Me , i was driving with out license. Not anymore. I'm taking MSF next month, so i'll wait :( ...

But now is even worst. They are having checkpoint everywhere , just stoping riders, even scooters...

It's a major crackdown, and they even have a fraternal competition on who impound more bikes. Now you can see what's going on.
:loco That's crazy and going too extreme. What will be next :whip ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts