Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:banghead Im in need of some serious help, Ive been beating my head on this issue for 3 weeks now, I have a 1996 zx6R f2, 1st, the bike runs great, however before I start riding I have to put water in it, because I invested too much money in coolant, the main problem I'm having is coolant comes out of the overflow when the bike is ideling, I've changed the radiator cap, the thermostat and the housing, also, I've checked the water pump, and when ideling coolant flows to radiator. When riding in normal traffic the bike does not overheat, engine needle is in the middle, it only starts to overheats when most or all the coolant comes out of the reservoir or in traffic and when I'm riding, so most of my riding routes have to have little or no traffic, seems like now that I've changed the thermostat the reservoir does not maintatin the coolant, it just runs out the overflow. Water stays in the radiator but by the time I get to my destination I have to put water in it before I leave. I've been told I could have a possible block somewhere which causes the water to come out of the overflow, at this point I have no Idea. ****HELP ME PLEASE****

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is your fan turning on?

If you do not have airflow across your radiator while your sitting still you will not have any heat transfer. The way a cooling system works is the cooling medium (in our case your antifreeze/water) takes the heat of the engine and transfers it to your radiator. Air flow across the fins and tubes takes the heat out of the cooling medium so it can be sent back to the engine at a cooler temperature then when it left. Thus if your fan is not working properly there will be no heat transfer while you are sitting still causing your bike to overheat. While you are ridding the forced air across the radiator takes the place of a fan.

Sorry if this is too in-depth but I was bored.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well when the coolant is in the reservoir and radiator, the fan cycles as normal, but eventually when the fluids come out of the reservoir, and I guess out of the radiator it will not cycle anymore, just riding it in steady traffic will not cause it to overheat, I can ride for about 17 to 20 miles before it starts to overheat.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Check the Cap. If the Cap isn't sealing properly the system can't create the vacuum it needs to draw the cool coolant into the engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The motorcycle Gods saved me, ok this is what I did, I went to AutoZone and bought some Prestone Radiator Flush, followed the instructions, I also pressure washed the radiator for like 15 mins. I let the radiator flush drain and put water in it and let the bike run for like 15 mins, then drained that, I put water wetter and enginr ice and let it run and everything seems stable, no fluids draining out through the overflow, engine temp was surprisingly low.... HURRAY I'm going to test it out tonight with a few friends, push it to 130, 140....To Be Con't-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, check it out, I STILL HAVE ISSUE'S,that radiator flush did'nt work last night, the bike still lost some fluids but I was still able to ride without it overheating, I just lose my fluids in the reservoir, the radiator keeps some fluids just enough to keep the bike from overheating, but eventually those fluids will evporate and I will have to stop at a gas station and add some water. That just seems like the major issue right now, my riding buddies say I might have a cracked head gaskit somewhere, who knows.... If you have any ideas let me know, and I'll check that.:banghead

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are you blowing white smoke out your exhaust? Or is your oil milky in color?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, the exhaust is not blowing out any white smoke, all you smell out of that thing is gas like vapor. I just cant understand it, the waterpump moves fluid ok, but it's just not holding fluids in the reservior??????? The bike will ride fine until most or all the fluids are low, then I have to make a gas station stop to put water in it... also the oil is black like it should be, so I know it's not a head gaskit issue.

·
Registered
41 Posts
your fan isn't supposed to turn on until you're not moving, like said before the fan turns on when you're stopped, to replace the air flowing over your radiator when driving. And the fan turning on is controlled by your thermostat reading high temperatures. So I think there may be a communication issue with your fan. Also where are you losing your coolant, is it spilling onto the road, or flowing down your bike, or just vanishing?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I fixed the problem fellas, with careful trouble shooting, a bone head mechanic put the reservoir hoses on backwards, meaning, the hose that is suppose to goto the rad was traced as an overflow, and the hose that was suppose to be the overflow was routed to the Rad, I reversed the hoses, now everything runs as it suppose to be, no overheating and no coolant coming out...YESSSS

·
Registered
2 Posts
I fixed the problem fellas, with careful trouble shooting, a bone head mechanic put the reservoir hoses on backwards, meaning, the hose that is suppose to goto the rad was traced as an overflow, and the hose that was suppose to be the overflow was routed to the Rad, I reversed the hoses, now everything runs as it suppose to be, no overheating and no coolant coming out...YESSSS
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. i HATE to bring up an old topic, especially one from 07, but it seems to fit my situation perfectly. I feel like that is probably what happened to mine because I haven't had a cooling problem until I got my bike back from a spring tune up.
Which hose is it that were switched? Would anyone be able to pin-point it for me or be so kind as to take/find a pic. I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to the forums. i HATE to bring up an old topic, especially one from 07, but it seems to fit my situation perfectly. I feel like that is probably what happened to mine because I haven't had a cooling problem until I got my bike back from a spring tune up.
Which hose is it that were switched? Would anyone be able to pin-point it for me or be so kind as to take/find a pic. I can't seem to find it.

Thanks in advance.

Well I have a 2005 636 so my resevoir is under the tank. I'm not just but I think yours being a 2007 is on the side of the frame. But the two hoses your talking about start under the radiator cap. The top hose right under the cap is suppose to run to the bottom of the coolant resevoir. Then another hose should run from the nipple on top of the resevoir to the ground for when it overflows. Now the second hose under the radiator cap should run to the engine. I'm not 100% sure on your 2007, but on my 05 636 it runs to the top of the thermostats housing under the throttle bodies. So just run them like that and you will be perfect. I wish people that work on bikes for a living wouldn't make stupid mistakes like that. They shouldnt be a mechanic :angry but whatever some people suck at life! But someone who isn't familiar with bikes could easily make that mistake. So if you run them the right way and everything else in the cooling system is working properly but it is still blowing coolant out the resevoir, then most likely you will have a blown head gasket or cracked head. It doesn't have to be running bad, or smoking, etc. a small crack can be just enough to push hydrocarbons into your radiator and build up enough pressure to push coolant out the resevoir. So if it comes down to that, check the coolant for hydrcarbons, you can smell it if you know what it smells like but if not they make little kits to test them.

Well hope this helps you out a little bit. Good luck with it and if you have any questions you can pm me etc. and I will be more than happy to help you out with anymore questions. Iv built a few of these motors including mine and a few head gaskets so I'm very familiar with zx6r amd 636

·
Registered
147 Posts
There is an entire section in the manual devoted to hose and wire routing. That should give you all the info you need.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I have a manual that my friend gave me but apparently its a 636 manual. Plus it doesnt have any hose and wiring diagrams. I'm going to take the fairings off and see if the hoses were put back wrong.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you tell me what bike you have then I can get you the correct manual for it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
there's no need to put a thermostat for a bike if u live in hot country.
No thermostat , Fast flow cooling

Yes you do want a thermostat even in a hot part of the country. Running an engine without a thermostat that is designed for one can allow the coolant to speed up to much and cavitate, and also not allow it to sit in the radiator long enough to expel heat. Likewise, it will not sit in the engine block for very long to pick up heat.

Always run a thermostat, if you cannot run a thermostat then there is an issue with your cooling system or a/f ratio.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i have CBR1000 without thermostat, no problem at all , the temp-. gauges won't go up to red line,
for me thermostat for a bike is useless, it just could ruin the head gasket when get totally overheat.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Check the Cap. If the Cap isn't sealing properly the system can't create the vacuum it needs to draw the cool coolant into the engine.
What...

Since when does a coolant pump need a vacuum to draw move coolant through the motor?

In the event of an EXTERNAL coolant leak, one can crack the cap open to relieve pressure and slow the leak, I have done this on countless vehicles and 2 of my 4 motorcycles. The cap doesn't need to be on or sealed for the thing to function.

Your coolant will boil, but that is another story.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts