Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cooling System Problems *****HELP HELP HELP****

:banghead Im in need of some serious help, Ive been beating my head on this issue for 3 weeks now, I have a 1996 zx6R f2, 1st, the bike runs great, however before I start riding I have to put water in it, because I invested too much money in coolant, the main problem I'm having is coolant comes out of the overflow when the bike is ideling, I've changed the radiator cap, the thermostat and the housing, also, I've checked the water pump, and when ideling coolant flows to radiator. When riding in normal traffic the bike does not overheat, engine needle is in the middle, it only starts to overheats when most or all the coolant comes out of the reservoir or in traffic and when I'm riding, so most of my riding routes have to have little or no traffic, seems like now that I've changed the thermostat the reservoir does not maintatin the coolant, it just runs out the overflow. Water stays in the radiator but by the time I get to my destination I have to put water in it before I leave. I've been told I could have a possible block somewhere which causes the water to come out of the overflow, at this point I have no Idea. ****HELP ME PLEASE****

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yea, carry it to any local radiator shop and they can clean it and rod it out for you and do a pressure test... usually its really cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The motorcycle Gods saved me, ok this is what I did, I went to AutoZone and bought some Prestone Radiator Flush, followed the instructions, I also pressure washed the radiator for like 15 mins. I let the radiator flush drain and put water in it and let the bike run for like 15 mins, then drained that, I put water wetter and enginr ice and let it run and everything seems stable, no fluids draining out through the overflow, engine temp was surprisingly low.... HURRAY I'm going to test it out tonight with a few friends, push it to 130, 140....To Be Con't-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hey guys, check it out, I STILL HAVE ISSUE'S,that radiator flush did'nt work last night, the bike still lost some fluids but I was still able to ride without it overheating, I just lose my fluids in the reservoir, the radiator keeps some fluids just enough to keep the bike from overheating, but eventually those fluids will evporate and I will have to stop at a gas station and add some water. That just seems like the major issue right now, my riding buddies say I might have a cracked head gaskit somewhere, who knows.... If anybody have any ideas let me know, and I'll check that.:banghead

·
Registered
50 Posts
If it were a blown head gasket, either you would be getting coolant in the oil (oil will get milky looking) or you will be getting it in the combustion chamber and it will run like sh!t.

That radiator flush stuff doesnt work nearly as good as a shop can do. About all that stuff in the bottle is good for is cleaning one up thats in the beginning stages of clogging up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I see, looks like I'm going to have to take it to a shop and have them check it, cause I have no Idea what the hell is wrong with this bike...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah i'm sure, it only fits on 1 side, the way the housing is, you can only put the thermostat on in 1 direction, the way the housing is the stat can on go in on 1 direction. Also, like I said the engine temp is normal to ok, it's just the reservior is not holding coolant, it keeps coming out the overflow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I fixed the problem fellas, with careful trouble shooting, a bone head mechanic put the reservoir hoses on backwards, meaning, the hose that is suppose to goto the rad was traced as an overflow, and the hose that was suppose to be the overflow was routed to the Rad, I reversed the hoses, now everything runs as it suppose to be, no overheating and no coolant coming out...YESSSS

·
Premium Member
4,288 Posts
glad all is well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts