Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guru's, here's a question. I've got a couple gasket leaking coolant on the left side looks to be coming from the head gasket and the jug to case gasket. What am I facing here? Obviously new gaskets, but how hard is it to drop the engine and tear her down? I'm new to this whole sport bike thing, hence the question. I figure it can't be much harder than doing a head gasket on a VW or Honda, but I know little about the inner workings of these fancy rockets.

details:
1994 zx7 P model
still has decent compression
no coolant in the oil

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Ok guru's, here's a question. I've got a couple gasket leaking coolant on the left side looks to be coming from the head gasket and the jug to case gasket. What am I facing here? Obviously new gaskets, but how hard is it to drop the engine and tear her down? I'm new to this whole sport bike thing, hence the question. I figure it can't be much harder than doing a head gasket on a VW or Honda, but I know little about the inner workings of these fancy rockets.

details:
1994 zx7 P model
still has decent compression
no coolant in the oil
If you have the factory service manual it's as easy as just following the steps outlined in the manual. The trick is to make sure you properly locate the cams when reassembling everything. On another note, a 94 ZX7 is an L or M (ZX7R). It can't be a P model.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
The ZX7's are notorius for leaking valve cover gaskets. This may even give the illusion that you hav a leaking head or base gasket. You might want to clean everything very thoroughly to make sure of where the leak is located before tear down. I'd hate to see you spend money on gaskets you may not need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ZX7's are notorius for leaking valve cover gaskets. This may even give the illusion that you hav a leaking head or base gasket. You might want to clean everything very thoroughly to make sure of where the leak is located before tear down. I'd hate to see you spend money on gaskets you may not need.
thanks for the info. like I said, still learning (sorry bout the Letter code mistake).
Might be a stupid question, but a valve cover leak would be oil, not coolant, correct?

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
thanks for the info. like I said, still learning (sorry bout the Letter code mistake).
Might be a stupid question, but a valve cover leak would be oil, not coolant, correct?
You're right about that. There's a water pipe o sealsn tringhe front of the zx7 engine that has rubber o-rings on it. This could very well be the source of your leak. You would't even need to drop the engine to fix it. The head gasket would be the only other likely source of a water (coolant) leak.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, saw that coolant pipe thing. I cleaned the area around it, as well as around the HG. Gonna play with it a bit today and see where the leaks seems to be coming from. Thanks for the tip.

I realized why I thought my bike was a P model, the prior owner gave me a pdf manual, said it was the one for this bike... guess he was wrong. makes sense why some of the wire colors different. good to know, no matter what the colors, the wire harness from my L seems to be the same configuration as the P's. the only difference I've seen is wire colors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, head gasket. oil is now nice and chocolatey....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts