Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok please help. Today on a short ride to the beach I noticed my temp gauge wasn't moving. Then when I arrived I was welcomed with a puff of smoke and a stream of coolant. I quickly returned home. I experienced some engine noise at times but overall ran fine. When I got home she would idle rough and I can see a leak coming from the hose in front of engine in the middle connecting to what looks like a metal pipe running across the block. Where to start or should I go directly to a shop.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot it is a 1995 d with about 20000 mi on it. Never had a mechanical issue before this. Oil level looks good. And it has never been abused. I have belray full syn in it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
First off, just park it & let it cool off. Then clean up all the coolant off the engine & everything else it got on. Pull the pipe or tube you saw leaking and replace it with new clamps. Fill the radiator with water then crank it up. Look for leaks as it warms up. If it doesn't get hot, go for a short ride. If all is well, no more leaks, drain out all the water & re-fill with the proper water/coolant mix. If I've missed something, someone on here will catch it & let you know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a coolant leak on the hose may have caused you to cook, overheat, i.e. destroy your motor.You should not have continued riding when you first observed problem. Take it somewhere and have a compression test done. The wet liners in a ZX11 do not like being run dry. Good luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Sounds like a coolant leak on the hose may have caused you to cook, overheat, i.e. destroy your motor.You should not have continued riding when you first observed problem. Take it somewhere and have a compression test done. The wet liners in a ZX11 do not like being run dry. Good luck.
Wet liners? Really? Just to make sure we're using the same definition, a "wet liner" is one that contacts the coolant directly, such as big diesels use. If Kawasaki can put an iron wet liner in an aluminum block with only one seal, my hat's off to their engineers.

Normally on aluminum water cooled motors that get overheated, if anything breaks, it's either the head warping or the head cracking. Little chance of a change in compression due to piston/liner damage unless it siezed.

Fix the problem, fill it with water to see if it leaks, ride it and see how it runs.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well left fairing off and leaking hose removed. Ordered new from dealer for $23. Any advise on getting some more room to work. Without disassembling whole bike. Hopefully all will be right in 3-5 days. Fingers crossed. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
235 Posts
If anyone has a overheating problem and finds a faulty fan switch Autozone part # SW504 is a direct swap for the OEM at less than 25.00.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts