Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I recently had my 04' 1000rr wadded up by an inattentive driver. It was my Track and street bike.The replacement will also be a track day / street bike. I'm a former racer and run the A group on track days.........

The replacements I am looking at are all 600's. I've decided to try out the middleweights. The bikes on my list are the 07'

600rr
Zx-6r
R6

I really like the way the 6R looks, why should I choose it over the other 2?

·
Registered
32 Posts
well i dunno bout right now got recalls on the zx6s like the cams and shims not being strong enough, i have had 2 oil leaks from valve cover and camshaft sensor and so have others. Other than that its a good bike track wise it does need alittle more bottom end power but does pretty good. But the new cbrs are the shit they just dont look that great but they are fast as fuck and lighter a stock one gives modded zx6s a run.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, the 6r was designed as a track bike. The handling is incredible. You'll really need a pipe/pc3 and do the jumper mod to free up all the power. I can't really say a whole lot cause I haven't ridden the other two, but I love my 6r!!

As for the cam/tappet problem it only happened to a small percentage of the bikes, where the metal used was too soft.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry I would love to recommend the 07 6R but if you are unlucky and get one that has the cam & tappets issue and/or leaking valve cover gasket and/or leaking crank shaft seal or the hard to start issue you will be pissed and blame me.

I would say the Honda 600 is hard to beat. Light, fast, handles and has the horse power with few teething issues unlike the 6R.

If you still want a 6R I will sell you mine at a good deal.

As for the 6R on the track it rips in it's stock configuration. Gave my GS500 Ohlins equipped track day bike a run for the money. On the street it needs a -1 +2 to compensate the low HP, high weight and stock gearing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
simple jumper mod along with a slip on and some other light modding and the 6r will scream. once u pass 9000rpms the little 600 turns into a monster. i love mine.
only thing i have to say bad about it is the low end torque just isnt there. but its not really there on 600's n e way.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yeah even though some of the problems ive had i do like the 6r it handles great and after all my mods i did it really does scream but its all up to what u want.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am quite a heavy oke (108kg) and do trackdays every two weeks on a fairly tight track here in SA (Zwartkops track). Has yet to find another 600 to keep up on the track (and I am not a racer!!)

Will swop my ZX6R only for a ZX10R or a Ducati 999/1098

·
Registered
81 Posts
i know I've heard some people have oil leaking and cams tappets issues but is a small percentage having these problems. its better than honda 600rr has over heating problems & clutch issues. all bike have a little problems some better than others.. i love my zx6r. wouldn't trade it for no other 600.. if u do the jumper mod and gear it -1 in the front sprocket and +2 in the rear sprocket it jump out of the hole like u wouldn't believe.. hope this helps in choosing the 600 Ur looking for..

·
Registered
488 Posts
ummm i thought if you get an exhaust you dont need the jumper mod? or if you discconect the servo valve? n e ways gearing the bike does give u a bad ass jump and the top end is ridiculously insane! atleased for me it is and im a heavy set guy too, luv the 07 zx6 and it catches so many eyes cuz theres non like it hondas, gixxers and yamis all look the same, you wont regret it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Good Points - Impeccable handling, well sorted fuel injection
Bad Points - Slower, heavier and less powerful than the CBR & R6

One of the best points of the 6R (well for me anyway as I commute on it) is the fact that it can be totally undemanding to ride. If conditions dictate or you simply can't be arsed it's such an easy bike to potter around on which is not usually the case with something designed with such track focus. Very Honda like in the way it all works so well and just feels right but without the blandness you often get with a Honda. Build quality is probably the best I've ever seen on a Kwack.

There are some excellent deals to be had on the 6R - you're unlikely to get a CBR or R6 for the same price. Well worth every penny (cent) and it looks different than the rest as well.

On the subject of the CBR there are a couple of things that bother me about it. Honda has done what it's renowned for and gone for technical innovation by replacing perfectly good mechanical systems with electronics and having previously been on the receiving end of Honda 'innovation' I personally wouldn't touch it. Both the 'slipper clutch' and steering damper are electronically controlled on the CBR. The CBR uses electronics to try and raise the revs when needed to match rear wheel speed. Can't see how that really replicates a slipper clutch myself and a few journo's have commented that whilst the system is good it's not as good as a well sorted slipper clutch. The steering damper uses electronics to measure speed and steering inputs to decide if it should increase damping force. Again this has had some critisicm as there are times when the system applies too much or too little damping and it's not totally predictable in the way a mechanical system is. Would be interesting to know how good the build quality is as well as Honda are slipping in that department. My previous bike was a Honda and after 4 years of all year round use it was falling apart and had substantial rust problems.

Personally, if it was purely all about performance I'd choose the R6 but for the all round package the 6R does it for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
well i dunno bout right now got recalls on the zx6s like the cams and shims not being strong enough, i have had 2 oil leaks from valve cover and camshaft sensor and so have others. Other than that its a good bike track wise it does need alittle more bottom end power but does pretty good. But the new cbrs are the shit they just dont look that great but they are fast as fuck and lighter a stock one gives modded zx6s a run.
my 07 is also sweating oil from the valve cover ..waiting on parts. man i thought that was only a harley problem BUT other than that i love my bike!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
My .02 worth as an ex-racer myself

All of this bitching about torque doesn't amount to a hill of beans on the track with a 600.

At the start of a race you take off around 9 or 10 grand and slip the hell out of the clutch. This is where the 6r makes the power.

If anyone thinks you race in the lower third of the RPM's you need to get on the track. With smaller displacement bikes you rev the hell out of it and if you find yourself falling down on rpms in a particular corner you down shift the next time around to maintain rpms. If you are on a particular short track then adjust sprockets accordingly.

This bike is probably the most purpose built bike I've ever seen. It's purpose is the track where you spend all of your time in the upper stratosphere of the rpm gauge thus the stock gearing.

If you want torque go buy a RC51, zx-14 or some other V-twin. These things are like trying to drive a Porsche GTon the street. It's not where it was meant to be driven, but we buy them because of the purpose built nature and then bitch about it.

If you want more power from it simply RIDE IT LIKE IT WAS BUILT TO BE RIDDEN.....IN THE UPPER 1/3 OF THE TACHOMETER. :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead

If I still raced I would race the 6r. The thing f*cking rips when you ride it like it was meant to be ridden otherwise:stfu :thumbup :nana

1 - 17 of 17 Posts