Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thirty years ago, there was a simple conversion using another bike's shifter, but I can't remember what it was, and I really need to start working it. I did a search but couldn't find anything. I don't think flipping the shifter 180° on the shaft will work. TIA.

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
If it's a similar design to the J/K/L/M shift linkage, it can be flipped 180⁰. Did it on my L model (93) and my zx10r (06).

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, there generally isn't a reason to swap over to reverse shifting unless you're racing, but once your brain programs it into muscle memory, it becomes effortless. I swapped my street bikes over to it and have been riding that way for twenty years now. Now I'm too old to expend the effort to relearn standard shifting, much less swap my other bikes back to standard shifting.

The problem is that the ZX-7 was wadded twenty-eight years ago, and only recently brought back to life last month. I was able to manage standard shifts while test riding, but it was a constant concern, and not ideal.

Next, I looked it over quickly, and it didn't strike me as feasible to just rotate the shift lever around - it seems like there would be interference with the case, I'll know that next week when I replace some seals on the covers. My recollection back in '90/91 was that the OEM shift shaft lever couldn't be used, hence the other model reference.

· Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
5,026 Posts
I agree, there generally isn't a reason to swap over to reverse shifting unless you're racing, but once your brain programs it into muscle memory, it becomes effortless. I swapped my street bikes over to it and have been riding that way for twenty years now. Now I'm too old to expend the effort to relearn standard shifting, much less swap my other bikes back to standard shifting.

The problem is that the ZX-7 was wadded twenty-eight years ago, and only recently brought back to life last month. I was able to manage standard shifts while test riding, but it was a constant concern, and not ideal.

Next, I looked it over quickly, and it didn't strike me as feasible to just rotate the shift lever around - it seems like there would be interference with the case, I'll know that next week when I replace some seals on the covers. My recollection back in '90/91 was that the OEM shift shaft lever couldn't be used, hence the other model reference.
Could you use the shift linkage from j/k/l/m on the h2?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have access to any linkages from 91, 92... I'd have to buy them.

I checked the url link. I wish it appeared to be so simple - I could make a longer rod. The issue that I see (casual viewing,) is the shift shaft arm will not clear the engine case if rotated 180 degrees. The engine case overhangs above the shift shaft, but has plenty of clearance underneath it (current standard pattern set-up.)

I might be wrong, but based upon what my recollection is and what I see now, the need for a different shift shaft arm is to relocate the front heim joint outward, away from the case, so it can sweep in its arc unobstructed.

I should have written the fix down in the repair manual, all those years ago. I guess that's why there are always a few blank pages at the rear of them... argh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts