Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First let me start off by saying this forum is great! I have been a lurker for awhile now and finally made an account! Today I acquired my FIRST ever motorcycle. It is a 1988 EX500. I bought it for 1200$. It only has 7200 miles on it, from what I can tell is in pretty good shape cosmetic wise. The only problem it has is it leaks oil. It has a very very small leak near the bottom of the case above the kickstand? I'm guessing it's where the clutch and flywheel are housed?? Not sure tho since I know nothing about motorcycles. Now I have worked on and repaired my own vehicles alot. So I can fix things myself. The kid said the leak was minor and only needed a gasket. Part # 1190b? From what I can tell it is a tiny tiny leak like maybe 1 drop the size of half a penny every so often. It is right on the bottom left hand side of the bike on the circular case above the kickstand in front of the shifter. It's coming from the seal. Anyone know what gasket that is?

Also I've been reading general how to's and safety warning etc but does anyone have any tips or tricks for these bikes or riding in general? Sorry about the questions I'm just nervous and really excited to start riding and fix this bike ASAP! I will post some pics of it soon! Thanks in advance guys and gals! Hope to hear from you all soon! Have a great night!

Oh before I forget, anyone have any advice how to lock my bike from being walked off with when I live in an apt complex with no carports? I'm in a rural Ohio community and crime isn't too crazy here. Most people here know I'm a military guy and a local vol firefighter/medic so I doubt it will get stolen but you never know!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
First of all, if you don't have any riding experience, don't listen to anyone who tries to teach you their personal methods. The best way to get a grasp of the proper techniques and safety is to take a rider course. I took mine through ABATE, a motorcycle safety organization for about $100, and it was well worth it! Plus, you get to crash their bikes before you set foot on your own...taking a course may lower your insurance rates as well!

As for the leak, it's hard to tell where exactly it is without actually seeing the bike, but i'd guess it's going to be either a gasket for the generator cover or gear change mechanism cover. Simple labor if you let your local shop tackle it, or buy a 6 pack for a knowledgeable mechanic buddy, if they can confirm the leak for you.

There are a few options for security. Disc brake locks are cheap, but can damage your bike if it is stolen, and bike can still be picked up. Lo-jack systems are available, but can be costly to buy and install. Talk to your local shop and they may have more options for you.
Also, there's always the storage unit option if nothing else...

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sounds like a shift shaft seal, or could be the countershaft sprocket seal.
They're both fairly easy to replace without much disassembly.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I travel quite a bit & I like to bring my bike with me when I can. I always use a cable lock on my bike & lock the fork on it. I guess I really can't stop someone from stealing it, but I try to make it as difficult as possible. Can't help you with the oil leak without knowing exactly where it is but I hope its not hard for you. Good luck. Oh, one other thing, a motorcycle training course would be well worth your time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts