Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who Makes the fastest accelerating , most powerful, most reliable 1000 this year.

im almost certainly buying a 07 zx10R but wanna know if any of the other bikes might be better?

10 Posts
Well, this may help you. Remember it's my opinion only. I ride 5-7K per year, and do 3-6 track days per season. So far in 06, I purchased the 06 R1 and GSXR1000. I recently purchased the 06ZX10R. The R1 went away quickly. All top end, no low end or mid range what so ever...and it was soooo hot (heat via the engine/exhaust and frame) that it was a pain to ride. I like the 06 GSXR1000, its a great bike, but I like the feel and looks of the ZX10, so I sold the 06 Gixxer as well. I think the Kaw is a better street bike. More confortable and does seem to pull harder. More leg room as well. I am 6' 1" and 205 lbs. I kept the 06 GSXR750 for track days. That's my 2 cents.
BG

·
Registered
44 Posts
The CBR seems to do well in street comparisons, it's a Honda so reliability is guaranteed, you may want it if you commute a lot. The R1 may be more fun on the track, you need to rev really high to get to it's power. The Gixxer has that new feature where you can change modes for rain or racing, I think it's crap but some people love it.

The Gixxer and the ZX come really close IMHO in performance, the Suzuki is newer this year so it will probably be picked in the comparisons, but in my opinion the Suzuki's riding angle sucks and it doesn't fit me well(I'm 6'0", 200 lbs.).

On a non-Japanese note, the Aprilia RSV Factory is an awesome V-Twin, you may want this if you will be hitting a lot of tight corners and need an immediate hit in torque. It actually beat the Ninja in the Masterbike competion, but I'd pick the Ninja in any track with less corners. I'm not a V-twin fan, 4 cylinders are more fun.

The R1 is pretty, but not very good on the street. The CBR is great on the street, but kind of weak. The Gixxer is a strong bike, but has ugly graphics, and a really ugly exhaust. My pick is the Ninja, I can't find anything wrong with it.

In reality they are all fast, and what you do aftermarket will really determine which is the fastest on the street. You should ride all of them, see which one feels best, and then choose the Ninja.

The only thing I don't like about my Ninja is that I have only 1.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys. that really helped me determine my decision, I will deff buy the new zx10R. im just curious. if i brough cash, yes 100 dollar bills. would i get the bike much cheaper?? then if i wrote out a check or is a check and cash the same deal??

also the place im buying my bike at is my good friends place that his parents own. its hugeeeeeee. It has all performance parts already there. also has a dyno with tuning available. I am going to have him install a Micron Serpant full system with dual carbon fiber cans. also the k&n filter and a powercommander with a dyno tune for max performance.

one other thing. Insurance. do you guys think im nuts to just get liability coverage or should i spend the 2500 for full coverage for the first 8 months to lern the new bike?? I had a 2001 ZX6R for the last 6 years. so i know how to ride. This will be my first 1000

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buy the bike and leave it stock till you learn it. Then if you feel that it's not fast enough, do the exhaust/PC/Dyno tuning. I'm pretty sure you will shit yourself the first few times on the bike no matter how many mods you had on your old ZX6r. No 2 ways about it this bike is a different kind of animal than anything you've owned and you should learn it before you mod it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
thanks guys. that really helped me determine my decision, I will deff buy the new zx10R. im just curious. if i brough cash, yes 100 dollar bills. would i get the bike much cheaper?? then if i wrote out a check or is a check and cash the same deal??

also the place im buying my bike at is my good friends place that his parents own. its hugeeeeeee. It has all performance parts already there. also has a dyno with tuning available. I am going to have him install a Micron Serpant full system with dual carbon fiber cans. also the k&n filter and a powercommander with a dyno tune for max performance.

one other thing. Insurance. do you guys think im nuts to just get liability coverage or should i spend the 2500 for full coverage for the first 8 months to lern the new bike?? I had a 2001 ZX6R for the last 6 years. so i know how to ride. This will be my first 1000

You usually don't get it cheaper when you pay cash, here's why. I used to be a mortgage broker and a realtor and I can tell you they make money off you when you finance. They make money in the front where you can see it on paper, and the finance company pays them in the back also. But your friends own the place so you should be able to walk in and get the bike at cost or a couple hundred over. Keep in mind many people get their bikes a couple thousand under retail, I did.

I would put all the mods on it while I have the hook up. You never know when they could sell the biz or go out of business.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What to expect next year?

I love what I've seen of the 10R but does anyone know what's coming next year? Should I wait for the 2008 models? What is the main thing I should look for / reason to buy a bike?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love what I've seen of the 10R but does anyone know what's coming next year? Should I wait for the 2008 models? What is the main thing I should look for / reason to buy a bike?
Many people think that the 06 ZX-10 was a lateral move from the previous model. There is potential for a bigger more noticeable jump this round, I don't know. I thought about waiting, but what more can you ask for. I can't imagine it being more than fractionally better. Bike mags make a big deal every time a bike gets redone, in reality the difference is usually marginal.

Maybe they'll put an electronic steering dampner, or put mulitple ride modes like the Gixxer1K...there's nothing that I really want enough to wait for, that's why I bought mine last month.

In the end, I say grab the best bike you can handle, as soon as you can, and ride it like you stole it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok guys i just went to my friends shop today. I payed for him to get me a green 2007 zx10r with full system acropovic exhaust with dual carbon fiber cans, k&N filter, powercommander, fender eliminator, tankpad, rear seat cowl, and a custom dyno tune. with an extimated laber to install all parts and dyno tune he gave me a final price of 12,900 with everything. out the door. i payed cash. 100$ bills. What a great Deal!!!!! i love cash

·
Registered
44 Posts
ok guys i just went to my friends shop today. I payed for him to get me a green 2007 zx10r with full system acropovic exhaust with dual carbon fiber cans, k&N filter, powercommander, fender eliminator, tankpad, rear seat cowl, and a custom dyno tune. with an extimated laber to install all parts and dyno tune he gave me a final price of 12,900 with everything. out the door. i payed cash. 100$ bills. What a great Deal!!!!! i love cash
SWEET...you're set for a while...I wish I could afford to put all those mods on my bike...I need to make more friends:evil

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow man thats a crazy deal. Are you goin to break it in before you do the dyno tune? Please post some pics!
he is going to break it in on his dyno before anything!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just make sure you drive it around for 20 miles or so before the Dyno. Do some really light riding just get the oil circulated. If you do the Dyno that early you can forget the manufacturers break in. You will just have to do the hard break in, which is opening up the throttle as much as possible, don't worry about RPM's or speed it's mainly opening up the throttle all the way. I did it all under the posted speed.

Immediately after the Dyno get an oil change. It will get all the shavings out of the oil. Do another one at 100, 500, 1000. Don't use any synthetic until after a few thousand miles.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Until the mfgs put real traction control systems on these bikes, I think you'll be happy with whatever is out there now. I mean, that will be the next "major advance" for street riding. Everyone has slipper clutches now so enjoy! All the litrebikes these days are awesome handling and powerwise.

/.02

·
Registered
18 Posts
You want be sorry!

R1's & cbr's out,If you get the gixxer you'll need:Galfer rotors x3,high mount exhaust,flush mount turn signals,six spoke wheels,& if you get an 06 figure on a steering damper, because after a near death tank slapper at 180+ my buddy put on a pit bull rotary unit.Or do like me & get the 10.:scared :crazyloco :squint :smile :mfclap .(KAWBOY)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i did my first oil change at 500 miles. and i was not planning on the next oil change till it hit 3000. is that bad?? should i do another one at 1000 miles then at 3000 miles my next oil change and switch to synthetic??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts