Votes: 40 59.7%
  • Never

Votes: 19 28.4%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious as to what everybodys doing when shifting gears. On my previous ZX6R it would be rare when I would use the clutch to upshift, since I got my new bike for some reason I am using the clutch all the time, except for high RPM shifting, but I think thats happening just out of habbit though.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I use the clutch.....lIf I were racing on a track it would be a different story, but on the street.... I don't see the point in doing it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I use the clutch,I LIKE MY GEAR BOX

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason why I bring this up is because I just finished the break in period on my bike (according to service manual). So during the past month I've kind of got use to driving like "somebodies grandmother". It wasn't until I was out lastnight with some guys...well lets just say Kawi has a great machine. I fell back into some of my old habbits. There was an article in the April 07 issue of Sport Rider concerning clutchless upshifting and they were all for it. Just curious as to the opinions of some real everyday riders.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i didnt know you could do it at all... i did it on accident the other day and was waiting for my bike to explode

when should you and should you not do it?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Only from first to second other than that, let off the gas shift and go!

·
Registered
649 Posts
yeah, yeah, the magazine said go for it..... if you do it correctly! There is still the chance that you could F up your gear box with a bad shift. I just don't see how it's worth it unless you are racing for pinks! I've done it, but that's like 1% of the time.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a Bazzaz Performance quick-shifter. Allows full throttle clutchless upshifts. Love it, but don't use it around town....just on agressive rides.

·
Registered
683 Posts
This thread was beaten to death about a month ago so I'll be brief. I use the clutch very rarely. You don't need it and you're not going to damage the trans.

·
Registered
157 Posts
yes, there not Cadillacs, there sport bike! LOL

·
Registered
191 Posts
YEAH I have that same article.. I'm thinking that they sound like they know what they're talking about but then again it is MY BIKE thats at stake.... I'll try it once or twice just 2 see what all the fuss is about.

·
Registered
63 Posts
i havent had the chance to do it on this bike ive only had it for a week and have not got to ride to often. I did do it alot or most of the time on my old bike and never seemed to have a problem. ive maybe done it a handfull of times on this one. and it all seems to be the same makes it easy on the hand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use the clutch to shift into first up or down past that i rarely use it unless I am stuck in traffic. Never had a problem in fact it feels nicer????

·
Registered
379 Posts
Curious as to what everybodys doing when shifting gears. On my previous ZX6R it would be rare when I would use the clutch to upshift, since I got my new bike for some reason I am using the clutch all the time, except for high RPM shifting, but I think thats happening just out of habbit though.
Get a quick shifter and you dont have to worry. Anything over 4000RPM and you dont use the clutch.:clap

·
Registered
60 Posts
Wow obviously this is touchy subject.I love the idea that I dont have to pull in the clutch and get that jerky reaction instead the half a second I use to let off the throttle click 1 up and no brake in my consistant power delivered to the rear wheel,ITS GREAT!!!! BUT....I had an 2004 636 and the second gear was acting kinda funny from doing that repeatedly.Sooo,it might have some long term ill effect.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You made a good point Seth about second gear. I was at a rally last summer and was chatting w/a fellow rider about shifting without the clutch. He made a statement..."NEVER shift from first to second without the clutch, especially w/a kawi". Not sure why, maybe something to do with the postive neutral finder??

·
Registered
29 Posts
i use clutch round town unless im ripping the bike then use it from 1st to second then thats it no clutch after that ive had no probs and it does seem to respond very well plus im sure as it as a slipper clutch there shouldnt be a problem my bikes fine ..

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yeah, your bike has a slipper clutch... use it. I shift because it's smoother and not that big a hassle, but if I'm cruising from a light and I'm lazy I won't. Also, if I'm coming up to a light and I'm lazy, I'll just rest the weight of my foot on the shifter and it'll just fall when it wants to, and with the slipper clutch, it's perfectly smooth. I wouldn't worry about maintenance anyways, you'll most likely throw your bike down the road or sell it before that becomes an issue.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts