Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when under hard acceleration my engine revs pick up a lot more then the bike accelerates. It feels like the clutch is slipping and mostly happens when I change into 3rd and open the throttle up 100%.
I assume the friction plates have probably worn so the clutch can’t grip hard enough. I use semi-synthetic oil and have heard that some oils can cause the clutch to slip?

What do you guys think. Should I just buy something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-...13?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item33744e9509

Cheers

Shrapers

·
Registered
89 Posts
I bought an EBC clutch kit for my 94 ZX7 and when my buddy at the dealership went to install it, he said it wasn't correct. He used OEM friction plates. I would go with OEM so you don't risk overspending.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I've read mixed reviews about the EBC clutch kits.

From what I've gathered the OEM clutch plates are the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine was slipping so I cleaned all the plates, de-glazed the steels and fitted heavy duty
springs, just replaced 3 of them as recommend on the forums.

No slippage since then even when flat out in high gears, track days etc.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. Replaced the frictions and the steels with OEM ones, no more slipping clutch. From what I gathered, unless you're doing anything outside of daily riding, no matter how hard, OEM is your best bet for performance and durability.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I think if I have to take the clutch out i'll prob just change it.

I can’t find an OEM “kit” so I priced up the parts separately. I read that there are 8 plates? So with 8 of the friction and steel plates The OEM works out a bit more expensive then the EBC kit at £113. New OEM springs are about £5 each! You can by an EBC spring kit for about £10 so might go with that.

What sort of problems have people being having with the EBC stuff? I thought they were supposed to be pretty good. :headscratch

Cheers

Shrapers

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
my bike has ebc kevlar friction plates which i cant give a thumbs up or down on because my bike came this way. i can say that compared to oem, the ebc racing springs give a better feel to the clutch lever in my opinion as well as everyone who has rode my bike

·
Registered
548 Posts
Youll need 8 frictions and 7 steels. I've heard the ebc kits are the best bet outside of OEM so its a safe bet to go with. Don't forget to order a new clutch cover seal as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently was having the same problem, I just went with 10% stronger springs ebc i believe and everything is working great, no more slippage. Cheap and easy to change out, I would say try that first, might save you some money and time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts