Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This problem first started one day when I was out on the interstate topping my bike out. Soon after a little sports car wanted to have some fun and while messing around with him I noticed what I think was my clutch slipping. I was in 5th gear i think about 8000rpm and my bike screamed and rev'd up to 13000. Since then it's happened occasionally. Would this be my clutch slipping? I believe it's the original one with around 18000 miles on it.

Also, would fixing this be too hard for my home garage? And where would be the best place to replace this... dealer, used, online?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yup, put a fork in it cause its done! Not sure about replacing clutch though...:dunno

·
Registered
201 Posts
Check your clutch freeplay first. If that checks out pull the clutch cover and check your clutch components.
As far as replacing it you can do the whole job in about an hour.
Don't go to the dealer for parts. I use Barnett clutches and have had alot of sucess with them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Free play? 7's have hydraulic clutches

Mine is slipping too, I'm going to order thr EBC kit with springs soon, should be an easy job.

·
Premium Member
6,577 Posts
This problem first started one day when I was out on the interstate topping my bike out. Soon after a little sports car wanted to have some fun and while messing around with him I noticed what I think was my clutch slipping. I was in 5th gear i think about 8000rpm and my bike screamed and rev'd up to 13000. Since then it's happened occasionally. Would this be my clutch slipping? I believe it's the original one with around 18000 miles on it.

Also, would fixing this be too hard for my home garage? And where would be the best place to replace this... dealer, used, online?

Thanks for the help!
Yep, the clutch is toast. You can do this in your home garage but you'll need an impact gun and I believe it's a 36mm socket for the clutch hub nut.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Mine as doing the same thing. Pulled it out and the only thing wrong was worn springs. Everything else was fine. I just ordered new stiffer springs and it works great now. Takes no time and little effort to change them. you will spend more time getting the original gasket off then you will anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts