Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys.

i recently picked up a 00 12r and thought it had a bad clutch.
after adjusting the cable....it still slipped after 7k OEMs.
so i replaced the OEM fibers with some ebc.
now.....the clutch will slip until i ride for like 10 minutes....then its fine :-O
any info is greatly appreciated.
btw the fibers were soaked over night and im running amsoil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RUNDOG.....that info is much appreciated.

Funny thing is I also have "the extra friction plate" which I thought was possibly a packaging mistake...as only 10 fit into the basket.
Also the wierd thing is ....the clutch slipped everytime after 7k rpms with..the stock plates...which fit in there fine and were also measured to be within spec.
I also replaced the springs when I did the clutch with...EBC HD springs that say they are 2x stronger than stock......
I guess I will just live with the slipping for the first few miles.....
That way I ensure I will give the bike sufficient time to warm up before I ring it out :)
Honestly....the after iv been riding for a good 10 mins...I can so hole shots and the clutch wont slip..so ..its not really worth it for me to take it all apart again....or is it lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'll suggest that as soon as financially feasible you have that clutch problem corrected. There are quite a few good shops in FL. 2000 ZX12s are known to have issues with exploding clutch baskets, and any problem with the clutch may increase the odds of this happening. I've put well over 100k miles on three 12s with no clutch problems other than normal wear (no dragracing, no wheelies), but others have had expensive clutch failures. Do a little research on that site. Good luck with it......:thumbup

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello guys.

i recently picked up a 00 12r and thought it had a bad clutch.
after adjusting the cable....it still slipped after 7k OEMs.
so i replaced the OEM fibers with some ebc.
now.....the clutch will slip until i ride for like 10 minutes....then its fine :-O
any info is greatly appreciated.
btw the fibers were soaked over night and im running amsoil.
Hi I have the exact same problem with my ebc and stronger springs clutch setup, I've always had it slipping when cold but works very well when warm and pulls like a mad ferret once it's warm, I was considering adding thicker steel plates but im unsure now and don't want to do any lasting damage. Would love to know how to fix this if it's something that a few people have struggled with. Is there a genuine stack height that I should be achieving? I think ill have to strip the clutch down again but would love to improve the cold clutch symptoms. The bike is going for service and silicone hose set fitting soon as its been a while since the sparkplugs have been changed. Thanks @Ninja_zx12rr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts