Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my chain and sprockets yeaterday, noticed this morn a few drops of oil on the ground under the bike, took it for a spin and the clutch works fine and the fluid level has not gone down but when i got home there was fluid dripping from around that area, difficult to see exactly where from though.

Is there any seals/gaskets that i could have damaged,
i took the slave off in one piece and took the sprocket cover off.

when replacing the slave i put gasket goo around the outside.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i searched the forums and found thats a likely cause,
when i had the slave off there was a sleave over the clutch push rod, does that go inside the seal?

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
By sleeve, I think you are referring to the cap on the end of the push rod and no it does not go inside the seal. These seals are notorious on these bikes. Mine popped out of the recess that it sits in and you can just keep putting it back in but it will pop out again. Need to get a new seal and I put it in, problem solved.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
recieved the oil seal today so went to fit it, it looks to be a bit big though. I can see the oil seal sitting in the recess for the clutch rod(about 2 inches in) and its a bit loose. should the new seal slide in from the outside or do i have to take more than the clutch slave & sprocket cover off to get in at it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked the oil seal size and its a 8 18 6
anyone know if thats the correct one? haynes manual has nothing about it and im going to the autofactors tomoz so can grab another if its wrong...

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
I cannot read the numbers on mine that well but it measures 18.5 - 19mm across. I will check the one in a spare motor I have and see if I can get the number from it.
Kawi part #92049-1017. Numbers on it (if I read them correctly) are: 8 18 7-1 , hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers Ninjanut, but does the seal slip into the recess or do i have to put in in from behind?

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
It goes into the recess. You just need to remove the slave cylinder and the mounting flange. Tap the seal into the recess and you're done.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Another ZX7 push rod seal strikes again.Mine has a very small leak.Not too worried

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Mine is a 96 which is slightly different seal but I am sure the install is the same. Maybe someone with an L model could give you more details. Yours does look smaller than mine for sure.

·
Registered
573 Posts
got it.. for a 96+

Pushrod seal change:

step 1: Take off front sprocket cover. few bolts

step 2: unbolt the clutch slave. two bolts. then unbolt the mounting bracket to get to the pushrod seal.

step 3: change out pushrod seal. might be a little tricky to get it out as it is in there tight. i use a center punch and a flat head to try and pry it out.

step 4: i believe you have to put a little bit of engine oil on the outside of the new seal. put new PR seal in. use a socket that is a little smaller than the seal, so u can push the seal in evenly.

step 5: put everything back

1 - 18 of 18 Posts