Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what's going on with my Connie14
- Pulsating of the clutch lever after changing gears and releasing clutch lever. Pulsating occurs as well during a decel from above 5K RPMs.
-Clutch starts to slip under hard acceleration from 4K RPM. No clutch slippage below that. The problem just started yesterday.
What's broke? Bike has 1500 miles. :rant

·
Registered
40 Posts
The stuff you feel in the lever is the slipper clutch doing it's thing, perfectly normal. The actual slippage is most likely an adjustment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here's what's going on with my Connie14
- Pulsating of the clutch lever after changing gears and releasing clutch lever. Pulsating occurs as well during a decel from above 5K RPMs.
-Clutch starts to slip under hard acceleration from 4K RPM. No clutch slippage below that. The problem just started yesterday.
What's broke? Bike has 1500 miles. :rant
Well, here is the definition of what a slipper clutch does.

Given that the slipper clutch is essentially de-coupling the engine (crank) from the transmission, when the rear wheel speed is higher than the engine speed (for the given transmission ratio).

Motorcycle Slipper Clutch....Operation and Adjustment
Click here:
http://www.yoyodyneti.com/motorcycle_slipper_clutch_operat.htm

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The stuff you feel in the lever is the slipper clutch doing it's thing, perfectly normal. The actual slippage is most likely an adjustment.
I just find it odd since it never did it before yesterday.
Can you come by and adjust?:crackup

Thanks for everyone's replies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Maybe they cant stand up to numerous runs on the track????? Any air in the slave cylinder? sounds like the metal plates in the clutch are glazed from slippage... Or maybe one or more of the bolts that hold the springs in the basket tight have come loose from high rpm shifting..

Sorry you're having problems.. let us know what you find out and whats the fix?

Jerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that would be funny...a ZX14 based motor can't take 20 laps on the track? I've run a ton of new bikes on the track most recently the following bikes: 07 FJR1300, 07 ST1300, 07 SV650S, 07 Ninja 650R, and an 06 Yamaha Road Star Warrior.
I put twice the lap times on those bikes and no problems encounterd...just some really scuffed up OEM tires. I am a die hard Kawasaki fan and it would be disappointing to know that the Kaw-boys didn't do any endurance tests. By the way, the Connie handled superbly on the track. I am still impressed with the overall capabilities of the Connie14.

I'll be taking it in to the dealer next Tuesday. We'll see what they come up with.
Maybe they cant stand up to numerous runs on the track????? Any air in the slave cylinder? sounds like the metal plates in the clutch are glazed from slippage... Or maybe one or more of the bolts that hold the springs in the basket tight have come loose from high rpm shifting..

Sorry you're having problems.. let us know what you find out and whats the fix?

Jerry

·
Registered
261 Posts
Im sorry GTR... that was a little pull at your pissy strings.. I regress to my other answers or questions as to the cause.. I was weened on H2's, once we got the drag chambers on them and got them jetted.. we always had problems with the clutches slipping under power.. We used Z1 springs and used to rough the metal plates up on concrete. My 86 connie had a slight problem when I increased power..

I remember you saying how much more torque in the midrange it has with Dale's pipe.. something could have come loose.. Or maybe you've tested into an area no one else has been yet.. My bet is, once the 021's got nice and hot and sticky, with the power you're making, you had one metal disc start to slip.. it got glazed, and maybe a few more after that. Hopefully nothing more serious.

Again, sorry to tease you about the track..

Jerry

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it didn't do it yesterday, obviously it isn't normal. My statement revolved around the fact that there is a lot of stuff you can feel in the lever when a slipper clutch is used.
It is my understanding that the clutch is the same as the ZX14, and that clutch is said to be built for drag racing. So a track day or two ain't gonna hurt that thing.
It could be that the slipper mech if failing and causing it to slip in both directions.
That is why there is a warranty, s_it happens. the good part is a clutch is dead easy to repair. Just a hint: Don't mention the track days to the dealer.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey JamminJere - no offense taken to your comments. "I have no pissy strings" to be pulled.:smile

My ZX14 is pullin 183hp and it has been to the dragstrip with at least 30 runs and 3 trackdays on stock clutch and no problems thus far.

Something is foul on the Connie.:rant

Im sorry GTR... that was a little pull at your pissy strings.. I regress to my other answers or questions as to the cause.. I was weened on H2's, once we got the drag chambers on them and got them jetted.. we always had problems with the clutches slipping under power.. We used Z1 springs and used to rough the metal plates up on concrete. My 86 connie had a slight problem when I increased power..

I remember you saying how much more torque in the midrange it has with Dale's pipe.. something could have come loose.. Or maybe you've tested into an area no one else has been yet.. My bet is, once the 021's got nice and hot and sticky, with the power you're making, you had one metal disc start to slip.. it got glazed, and maybe a few more after that. Hopefully nothing more serious.

Again, sorry to tease you about the track..

Jerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My dealer knows how much I love testing bikes on trackdays...besides they will know where it's been when they see the tires. They are a group of good guys and have taken well care of me to date. Will post results next week.

If it didn't do it yesterday, obviously it isn't normal. My statement revolved around the fact that there is a lot of stuff you can feel in the lever when a slipper clutch is used.
It is my understanding that the clutch is the same as the ZX14, and that clutch is said to be built for drag racing. So a track day or two ain't gonna hurt that thing.
It could be that the slipper mech if failing and causing it to slip in both directions.
That is why there is a warranty, s_it happens. the good part is a clutch is dead easy to repair. Just a hint: Don't mention the track days to the dealer.

·
Registered
85 Posts
gtr, did you drain the oil to see what comes out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I changed the oil about 400 miles ago and dumped it again after the track day. It came out nice and clean. Also changed the rear diff oil for the 4th time in 1500 miles. My question about the diff oil, why the heck is it icky gray? I couldn't imagine what it would look like at the manufacturer recommended intervals:scared

gtr, did you drain the oil to see what comes out?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I changed the oil about 400 miles ago and dumped it again after the track day. It came out nice and clean. Also changed the rear diff oil for the 4th time in 1500 miles. My question about the diff oil, why the heck is it icky gray? I couldn't imagine what it would look like at the manufacturer recommended intervals:scared
I wouldn't think the plates would go on a track day -and if there was no sign in the oil, I would think a loos spring or possibly a warped basket - I can't think of anything else. Hopefully the dealer will figure it out quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey gtr_1965,
I have about 1220 miles on my bike. No track days yet. Plenty of two-up riding as I allow my wife and daughters to alternately experience day trips with me on this great bike. But I too have noticed the pulsating and sometimes vague feel that happens when shifting (usually from thrid to fourth gear). I did not like it but thought that the slipper clutch might be the culprit so I have not mentioned it to the dealer yet. I am very interested in what your "supportive" dealer has to say about this issue. You can rest easy with the knowledge that my middle-of-the-road break-in still yielded the very same pulsating clutch and this is not specific to your enjoying track days on your GTR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi all I think you will find the pulsing clutch lever is due to the slipper clutch. I personally do not use the clutch on my up shifts and so only feel the pulse on down shifts. As to why gtr_1965s is slipping we will have to wait till his kawasaki shop looks at it. Hopefully it is just an adjustment as I too will be taking mine to the track shortly.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Word of caution for the track...the OEM tires will take more lap times to get 'em to warm up, twice as many than the OEM sport bike tires. Watch out for front tire push out when your suspension goes through the transition of unloading and loading. The weight of the Connie makes things a bit tricky under those conditions. I used the following tire PSI: 31 front/33 rear. The low pressure warning will come on but will disappear once the tire pressure increases through the first 2 laps. If you have suspension experts at the track, have them set your sag/suspension prior to pushing it on the track. Have fun!:crazyloco

Hi all I think you will find the pulsing clutch lever is due to the slipper clutch. I personally do not use the clutch on my up shifts and so only feel the pulse on down shifts. As to why gtr_1965s is slipping we will have to wait till his kawasaki shop looks at it. Hopefully it is just an adjustment as I too will be taking mine to the track shortly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Word of caution for the track...the OEM tires will take more lap times to get 'em to warm up, twice as many than the OEM sport bike tires. Watch out for front tire push out when your suspension goes through the transition of unloading and loading. The weight of the Connie makes things a bit tricky under those conditions. I used the following tire PSI: 31 front/33 rear. The low pressure warning will come on but will disappear once the tire pressure increases through the first 2 laps. If you have suspension experts at the track, have them set your sag/suspension prior to pushing it on the track. Have fun!:crazyloco
Don't you think the pressures are little bit low for street tires? I'm certainly no expert on setting up a bike for track use so interested to hear your thoughts on why such a low pressure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don't you think the pressures are little bit low for street tires? I'm certainly no expert on setting up a bike for track use so interested to hear your thoughts on why such a low pressure.
Run street pressure on the track..you go down.

Once they heat up on the track (fast pace riding), the PSI will rise. Mine went up from 31 to 35 front and 32 to 37 in the rear.:crazyloco

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update on Slipping Clutch

Dealer stated a piece of the locking tab within the clutch assembly broke and got embedded between the clutch hub and the top of the pressure plate. The clutch disc/plates were unscorched and looked like new. The embedded piece disallowed full travel of the clutch which was causing the slippage.

Kawasaki has suggested metallurgic failure of the tab but are interested in seeing the failed part. Additionally, they added the possibility of torquing down the nut over the unaligned locking tab may have put undue stress on the affected tab causing it to break.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts