Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i've been fiddling with this bike all weekend long and have found several things. but i need help

when i pull (engage) the clutch lever, the fuel pump will work or the relay will start to click. how/why are these two connected??? and what does this mean?? (i know that clicking means the relay is pretty much gone)

ive found out that the kickstand i have is not from the bike, could that be why the fuel pump is acting with the clutch lever??? or am i completely off?

·
Registered
14 Posts
dude you got some stuff plugged in where it isnt supposed to be, i had some electrical gremlins on my bike when i got it but just keep on truckin youll figure it out

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hey guys, maybe i am completely wrong but maybe the fuel relay is clicking on and off when you engage the clutch because when you engage it, the fuel management system does not push as much fuel in as it does not need to. I dont know but maybe that could be it?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
My bike does the same thing with the clutch lever, sometimes my bike won't crank and I'll pull in my lever and release it and it'll crank and start right up, the way the wiring is set up that I can remember the clutch neutral safety switch supplies + potential to the fuel pump relay however your clutch safety switch is probably going bad like mine was to were it wouldn't give me 12v to the relay in the held in position that's why I had to pull the lever in again to get It to crank. It's kind of hard to explain but the wiring diagram shows it all if you
have a bit of electrical knowledge because after the + potential gets to the fuel pump relay it goes to the starter relay blah blah. Now your fuel pump relay could actually just be your problem however both are not too expensive to replace I wouldn't imagine mine still works so I haven't fixed it haha.
Ps if I'm wrong on how the diagram is I apologize I was chasing wires a couple months ago and eventually sat down and figured out the whole thing but it's been a while so some other people might know more than I. Good luck

·
Registered
218 Posts
My two cents; There are two "un-serviceable" relays or solenoids in the fuse box. Pull the the fuse box out (No tools required) and turn it around. You will see four Phillips style screws that hold the cover to the body. If you pull the fuse box apart you will see the two relays I'm talking about. I believe one connects when the ignition is switched on with the key and second connects with the on/off switch. They are soldered into the circuit board. Anyway, I have similar problems that were initially only cured by turning the ignition on and off with the key. I found a NOS fuse box on E-Bay and problem solved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts