Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i just bought a 95 zx7 a few weeks ago and after day 2 the clutch started slipping. i was trying to drive it to get a new tire put on and the clutch went totally out and i limped the bike home(with some nice noises and alot of pushing on the way home) well i put the new one in today and right when i start it up and put it into gear it just instantly starts slipping. i could swear i offset the last disc and im about to tear it apart again and see if i diddnt but does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Did you reuse the old steels or install new ones?

Josh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so i just pulled the cover back off and i put the plates in correctly with the last one offsetted from the others. when i put it into first its just grinds like it wont hold it into gear. anyone have any suggestions? im lost. and i re used the old steels.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i re inspected the metal plates and they are for sure warn. theres some burn marks and looks like little tinny dots aroiund them like wear marks. would this be causing my issue? do i just need to replace my plates as well?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sounds more like something is binding up and not allowing the clutch to fully engage.

Josh

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Check to make sure you got the clutch pushrod forcing bearing in straight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so u guys don't think its the burn and wear marks on the plates causing this. Anyone got a pic of what my push rod should look like.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I also have a little play in my clutch lever. Do u think that could be causing the issue? I'm soo lost and I need my bike up and running. Anyone have a pic of what The push rod should look like

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Did you take the clutch completely apart or just remove the springs and remove the cover?

The steels can take a lot before they need replaced and if it worked before you should be fine now.

Something is preventing that cover from fully seating: either something was replaced wrong or the push-rod is jacked somehow.

Although if it started slipping before the clutch change I would then suspect the slave.

Josh

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok the clutch started slipping when i would get on it in the low gears and would just slip out and then slip back in. then the other day when i went to get a new tire i noticed it was slipping bad on the highway and then when i pulled over the thing would barely stay in gear i would click it down and it would wanna grind and then kinda catch and i was then limping it home and it seemed like everytime i got off the gas it would instantly start slipping and grinding again but i could kinda keep it in if i kept a little throttle on it with it getting worse until i got to my street and i had to push it as it would stay in gear at all just slip right out and spin. so when i replaced the clutch i just took the cover off took off the springs then removed the metals and fibers and replaced the fibers and put everything back in order correctly. the pressure plate bolted on fine with no issues and when i put oil in it and tried putting into gear it just grinds and wont go into gear. im totally lost. can someone post a pick of what my pressure plate should look like or a pic of what my push rod should look like cause ive seen picks of pushrods that seem to stick out of the pressure plate and mine doesnt do that at all but it doesnt seem damaged or like its missing anything. any and all help is appreciated right now both my vehicles are down :-(

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I think your problem lies elsewhere... Either the slave is jacked or the transmission took a dump .

Josh

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Need clymers.. I'll look in my manual to see if I spot anything that needs to be checked. Sorry for your problems

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'm thinking the drive chain in the engine to the trans.. Could be the tensioner let loose and is letting the chain slip off the teeth.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the help guys. U think that me limping it home about 3 miles with the clutch out ruined the trans?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'm thinking the drive chain in the engine to the trans.. Could be the tensioner let loose and is letting the chain slip off the teeth.
Drive chain? The crank is connected to the input/flywheel via gears.

Besides the final drive chain and cam chain the only other chain is the alternator/starter chain.

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
There are two drive chains in a 95 ZX7. The cam chain and the alternator/starter chain. That chain has a sprocket on the backside of the clutch basket on the transmission input shaft. Neither chain "drives" the transmission. A gear on the crank drives a gear on the back of the clutch basket.This drives the tranny.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Drive chain? The crank is connected to the input/flywheel via gears.

Besides the final drive chain and cam chain the only other chain is the alternator/starter chain.

Josh
Bullitt beat me to it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if someone has the service manual for our bikes and could scan and email the clutch info and slave cylinder info to me that would be awesome :)

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Just go to Ron Ayers and look up the fiche.

Otherwise you're going to need pull the clutch side cover and have another looksee inside.

If the trans simply won't go into 1st gear something is screwed up. I'm sure I could jam my bike into 1st gear no problem with the clutch engaged.

Am I right you're trying to get the bike into 1st gear and it just grinds and makes noise?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Oh ok I wasn't sure. My H1 has a chain drive to the trans in it I believe.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts